Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

P

December 14th, 2009 18:00

Want to install Windows XP Professional on Inspiron E1405 using Optiplex OEM Reinstalltion disk?

My friend sent me the following email which is self explanatory. Perhaps there is someone here who will be kind enough and provide the answer he seeks. I

do not know how to advise him. Thank you. Here is his email to me:

For our younger son, we purchased (12/06) a Dell Inspiron E1405 laptop,
Intel Core Duo T2050 (1.60GHz), 1GB DDR SDRAM. Came with XP Media Center Edition 2005 OS, including express upgrade to Vista Home Premium, which was subsequently installed.

Computer performance has always been slow, freezes, typical of other Vista comments.

The Optiplex (spec with your recommendations- Thank you again) I purchased from Dell Auction earlier this year  came with an XP Professional SP2 reinstallation CD ('already installed on your computer'). Any chance I could remove Vista HP, replace with XP Pro on the Inspiron?

12.7K Posts

December 15th, 2009 14:00

Could remove Vista HP, replace with XP Pro on the Inspiron?

Not legally.

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2009 05:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Just to expand on why it's illegal:  All OEM OS, are officially tied to the system on which they're first installed.

Only retail versions of an OS can legally be installed/activated on a different system.

But whether it's an OEM version or a retail version of the OS, you can't run two versions of the same OS on two different systems at the same time (it's already installed on the Optiplex system).

So if your friend wants to use a different OS to the one which is pre-installed, their only option is to buy that OS themselves.

No Events found!