Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2003 20:00

Ways to 'prune' files safely...?

Hi --- Lately I'd like to improve the performance / speed of my ME system. It has difficulty multi-tasking and freezes often (3-4 xs a day minimum).

Of course I know scan disk, defrag, clean up, temp internet files, etc...the usual...I can't help but notice there are quite a few seemingly not very important files in Windows. (like copies of every screensaver I've ever had?). I also have a sneaking suspicion there are duplicate programs & downloads with diff. names hard to see right off the bat.

Any suggestions on safely and very efficiently recovering space?

System is presently at 8.7 used, meager 860 free.

49 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 02:00

The tail end of space on a hard drive can slow down the performance of a system due to the windows swap file.  Check out the post here for info on how to do this.  I'd also highly recommend setting a static swap file so that the hard drive doesn't get thrashed as it searches for room to stick additional stuff.

Beyond that, I'd say go buy a new hard drive.  You can get a new drive for as little as $50.

Also you didn't mention how much RAM you have.  Go for 512 MB if you don't already have it.  Again, can be bought for under $100...

526 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 02:00

http://www.iolo.com/sm/

44 Posts

November 23rd, 2003 21:00

L o v e  that system mechanic! It was like giving the PC a laxative and now I've 8.3 used, 1.17 free...much more than I could've done on my own. It also freed up RAM. I had'nt defrag-ed RAM before and wasn't aware it was an option.

It seems to take hours to do everything but it's the real tune-up, definitely.

The first option given I'm trying in abt a week. Hopefully I'll have less going on and be able to follow directions...

Thanks & I'll come back with the follow up numbers after that procedure. 

2.5K Posts

November 23rd, 2003 22:00

I gotta ask, "What is Defraging RAM"

44 Posts

November 30th, 2003 19:00

Jjmspartan, I went through the procedures to install page defrag, however it looks like it works specifically only with NT or 2000 and I've an ME os............I did put the limits on the memory to create the 'static' page........should I remove it or wait till the freeware genie gives directions to a version for my system?! Does it serve a purpose by itself?

(I bet you didn't understand what I just asked...sigh.)

49 Posts

December 1st, 2003 00:00

Actually, in Win ME you won't have the same problem, because a standard defragger can already handle the swap file.  In the Win NT versions (NT, 2K, XP) the page file is restricted to keep the system from crashing due to multitasking when defragging.  That's why the boot time defrag of the page file is necessary. 

Interesting, that System Mechanic post.  Haven't played with that one yet, I use Norton.  Not sure about ME, but in XP there is a clean up tool built in the system to clean a lot of clutter up.  Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup will get you to it.  Norton (and I'd guess SM as well) do a better job of cleaning out more clutter than the built in version.  I might have to take a peek at that program...

44 Posts

December 1st, 2003 01:00

Ahh, thanks -- I've heard SM is similar in function to Norton, but any program that lets you go in depth, clean out & maintain section by section is new to me - hence the excitement.     I had a 'tune-up' option in Windows that had Disk Cleanup as a component - but the icon seems to be hiding from me. And so I find the individual components when I need them........

Small warning:  there might be an 'issue' with the hard drive defragmentor in SM. Tried twice to run it and it would create lock up at a certain point, it never finished.  But I guess there's no 'so so good' defragger & 'exceptionally good' defragger -- they accomplish the same task so may as well use the built in one if it works!

No Events found!