Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

300 Posts

November 21st, 2006 21:00

What/Where is "%SystemRoot%\System32"

Yes, I know it must be in Windows but exactly how do I get to %SystemRoot%\System32 folder to delete MSXML4.dll from it?  MSXML4.dll is in System32 but I cannot find that "other" folder.  Just to clarify, I am trying to follow instructions someone sent me from Microsoft to correct issues with their Security Update 927978.  I downloaded it on the 19th and it created a folder on my hard drive which made me wonder what was happening.  I am told to delete MSXML4.dll from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.  I did a search for MSXML4.dll and found 2: 1 in System32; the other is a crazy one - here goes:  C:\Windows\WinSXS\x86_Microsoft.MsxmL2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50C5d
Crazy, isn't it!  I suspect that one needs to go but am afraid to delete it  without more input from a person of knowledge!  Any takers?  I really don't want to have to go through the process of removing and reloading XP.  I have done this before and can't see this as a good enough reason - so far.
Thanks. 

1.4K Posts

November 21st, 2006 22:00

C:\Windows\System32 ....is the location of that file. I would save it to a folder first.

12.7K Posts

November 22nd, 2006 00:00

%systemroot%  usually refers to C:\WINDOWS  directory  then the sub directory system32 is in there.

1.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2006 00:00

Bessie wrote:
Yes, I know it must be in Windows but exactly how do I get to %SystemRoot%\System32 folder to delete MSXML4.dll from it?  MSXML4.dll is in System32 but I cannot find that "other" folder.  Just to clarify, I am trying to follow instructions someone sent me from Microsoft to correct issues with their Security Update 927978.  I downloaded it on the 19th and it created a folder on my hard drive which made me wonder what was happening.  I am told to delete MSXML4.dll from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.  I did a search for MSXML4.dll and found 2: 1 in System32; the other is a crazy one - here goes:  C:\Windows\WinSXS\x86_Microsoft.MsxmL2_6bd6b9abf345378f_4.20.9818.0_x-ww_8ff50C5d
Crazy, isn't it!  I suspect that one needs to go but am afraid to delete it  without more input from a person of knowledge!  Any takers?  I really don't want to have to go through the process of removing and reloading XP.  I have done this before and can't see this as a good enough reason - so far.
Thanks. 

i think that you are making a mistake by trying to delete the file that you are trying to delete.. you say that installing the update created a folder on your computer, but that does not sound like a problem..

i have not heard of anyone's having a problem from installing the update, but i do know that installing the update leaves a folder in "c:", which can be deleted.. is that the folder that you are concerned about? the one that you say that installing the update created on your computer?

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 11-21-200610:01 PM

300 Posts

November 22nd, 2006 17:00

redwolf_98,

I can see now I have gotten myself in a mess of sorts.  Originally the folder the MSXML 4.0 SP 2 Security Update 927978 left the folder you are speaking of.  Its' name is: 42fa7b771524d9b182d9e1; inside is a log for that security update which opens in Notepad.  As you can see, that name and the name of the BIG file I mention in my original post are not even close to the same.

My first post on this issue was in the Other Software area.  I had though my IE 7 download may have caused this folder on my C drive.  I received an answer telling me it had nothing to do with IE 7 but with the security update in question.  He gave me a link to an article Microsoft had written especially for that update because there had been some problems (in some cases) with installing it.  I printed the pages and, unfortunately, didn't take the time to read the entire thing.  I had assumed since I had that folder on my C drive I had a problem so I began following the steps to get it all right, or so I thought.  The first step was to go to Add or Remove Programs and remove that security update.  I DID THAT!!
The next step was to delete MSXML4.dll from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.  I did a search for that because I didn't know at the time what %SystemRoot% meant.  I found 2 files.  But then I have already covered that in my earlier post. 
Right now both of those files I did the search for are still in place.  The only real damage I can see is the fact I have removed that Security Update.  But - as I read the long list of infomation/instructions I printed it tells me if I had a problem installing the update I could work around it, etc (too much to write here) and to confirm the installation was successful, I should verify that the Msxml4.dll file in %systemroot%\System32 is version 4.20.9841.0.  I am able to verify that.  It is the correct version.  Does that sound good?  Does to me but then who am I to say!  I am the one that goofed it up in the first place.
Thanks for all your time and effort.  I really do appreciate it.

1.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2006 20:00

since you uninstalled the update, i would go back to the "microsoft updates" website and check to see if it says that there are any more updates available for your computer, to see if it says that you need to install the update, again, and reinstall the update if it does..

you can delete the "strange" folder in "c;" that installing the update leaves behind, but be careful not to delete the wrong folder, there..

incidentally, and this is NOT the "strange" folder that should be deleted, but since you asked where the "system32" folder is located, the "system32" folder is located within the "windows" folder, c/windows/system32..

300 Posts

November 22nd, 2006 21:00

redwolfe_98,
I tried the windows update and they are telling me I have "0" updates available for my system.  I even took the chance and copied the msxml4.dll file (from Windows\System 32) to a CD then deleted it to the recycle bin.  I was hoping it would make Windows think I needed that update after all - didn't work OR hurt anything.  Now the file is back where it belongs - restored from recycle bin.  I think I will leave those "strange folders/files" alone for a while.  Hopefully things will run smoothly until I get the chance to do a clean install of XP.  It has been a year so is about time for housecleaning.  I have a Dimensions 8400 that is a little over 2 years old. 
If you go to "Other Software" and read "IE 7 Download Question" you can see how all of this has evolved.  It is a long one!

Thanks for your suggestions.  I always appreciate them.
No Events found!