Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2006 13:00

What are you using as a alternative to Norton Protection Center?

Jut got a new XPS410 (very sweet so far!).  I went to install a new game (Myst - End of Ages if anyone is interested..) & installsheild when to no-mans land.  When I tried to restart, had to force installsheild to stop running (stuck process).  I suspect Norton because when I rebooted, I shut down Norton and the install went fine.  Long story short, I have the 90 free subscribe but am feeling Norton has a bit too much control and want something else.....

Question 1: : In practice, do folks shut down Norton (or other protection programs) to install AND play graphic intensive games as a matter of course?

Question 2:  Will the PC De-Crapifier program remove Norton effectively?

Question 3: What kind of alternatives schemes are you folks using out to protect your machines?

thanks for your time....

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 11th, 2006 14:00

I'm using the CA EZ Armor package that is offered free to RoadRunner subscribers.  It has anti-virus, firewall (Zone Alarm Pro) and also Pest Patrol for spyware.   It is also available for retail sale.

It is not "bloatware" like Norton or McAfee and has worked well for me for 3 years.

429 Posts

November 11th, 2006 14:00

I use PC-cillin Internet Security 2007 on my two desktops and have the v12 from Dell on my Inspiron E1505.  Trend Micro has build a good suite that is not too invasive.  2007 seems a bit more rigid about certain types of installations...but all in all I feel confident that I am covered properly.  Example...I just signed up with Verizon for FiOS service at home.  One of the things that I do use is the Verizon toolbar, which helps navigate through all the different Verizon user websites.  V12 on the laptop allowed me to install the Verizon toolbar.  V2007 sees it as a virus and kills the install, immediately.   I have added the app to the trusted list and 2007 still sees something it doesn't like about the toolbar.  Oh well!  The price for protection.  In addition...I run Webroot Spysweeper 5.2.  Not sure I will continue with it when the subscription is up.  Becoming more and more  a resource hog...and it is also pretty invasive.

Bob

15 Posts

November 12th, 2006 19:00

I use a couple of vendor offered products. My computer is an E310, it came with the McAfee trial service, which I did not subscribe to. Through the Verizon FIOS service, I have downloaded the Yahoo CA security suite, which provides antivirus, antispyware, antiphishing and parental controls. I maintain the McAfee Firewall that came with the computer. I also networked my wifes old Compaq with Windows 98 and installed the CA package on that, it will run with older operating systems.

On my wifes newer computer, another E310, she had been cleaning up some of the bloatware and removed the entire security suite (I believe PC-Cillin came on her computer). I signed up for a free AOL account, which allowed me to download their security suite, which includes along with the antivirus, antispyware, etc; a firewall. I believe that McAfee provides that service. Under AOLs new business plan, they do not charge for BYOC service. It only took me a minute or so to create an AOL account, I had to log on to download and to activate the security package.

Message Edited by crkeehn on 11-12-200603:02 PM

No Events found!