Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 3rd, 2009 18:00

What is msdtc.exe?, and why is it running on my computer?

Hello,

I have a new Vostro 410 PC, Windows XP  OS. I am trying to figure out why certain processes are running on my computer. The first one I have a question about is msdtc.exe.

I have searched for info on this process on the internet, and even though I've found info on it, I either don't understand it, or am not able to apply it to my situation to figure out if I need it or not. This Vostro 410 has some server software that came with it, and I know nothing about Servers, and hope that the Server software is not running things that aren't needed.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

March 4th, 2009 02:00

shalalagirl,

Here is a simple explanination on What is msdtc.exe.

Rick

March 4th, 2009 18:00

Thank you for the article on Tech Faq, it explained it a lot better. I still don't understand servers, and why the Distributed Transaction Coordinator was running. It's not running now, and I haven't made any changes or done anything different. I am going to chat or call a Dell Tech and see if they can explain what the Server program on my new computer is for, and why it is there, since I don't have other programs it needs to run it, or to see it running, or to see what it does.

Thanks again.

No Events found!