Windows General

Last reply by 01-11-2010 Unsolved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

Replies (158)
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I'm wondering the same thing.

jpruessner,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

If you registerd to receive the Win 7 Upgrade then you should receive it.

Find your Service Tag

If still under warranty, click the "Get help now" icon on the right to start a live chat session. Currently only available in the USA.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Receive what?  The email?  The win 7 disc?  That doesn't really answer my question.  What I was asking is HOW LONG until I receive the notification to get my upgrade?  Will it be today?  Tomorrow?  Next week? 

4 Beryllium

There are 2 steps. First you need to register your service tag at https://win7.dell.com/ You should have gotten an email to complete the order. If you have not gotten the email then go back to the site and log in and you will now see the option to add the order to your cart. A few minutes later you will get an email order confirmation. Then when they ship you will get another email. So from your post is sounds to me that you now need to do the second part and add it to your cart.

Alienware Aurora R4: i7-3820, 8GB, 10TB of HDD, AMD/ATI Radeon HD 7800, Samsung 27" monitor

XPS 730x: i7 920,   Replaced with an Alienware Aurora R4

XPS 410: Core 2 Quad 2.4GHz (Q6600) , 6GB, EVGA 8800GTS 640MB,
Single TV Tuner , X-Fi Xtreme Music, Logitec X530 Speakers

Latitude 10 Tablet

Inspiron 1720: T7500, 4GB, 120GBx5400, 120GBx7200, 8600GT, DVD+/-RW, Bluetooth,
Windows 8.1

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I have already registered my service tag number with Dell about a month ago.  I have not received the notification to be able to order it yet.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I've been waiting for this myself... Is this really gunna happen?! I tried going to https://win7.dell.com/ but it just keeps loading...

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

So whats the deal? was it a scam?

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

I don't think its a scam, but I think actually getting the Win 7 discs in your hand is going to be a weeks/months long process. Notice how the Dell tech in this thread was very vague about the original question of 'when.' The fact that the screens keep 'loading, loading...' is a red flag right there.

This should be a quick click-click-click through some screens to get registered to get the disc. If you have problems and need to call Tech Support, it should be taken care of with 1 person, 1 phonecall, and a few minutes time. 

Everything has become a marathon test of patience anymore ... I'm going to try calling over the weekend. I've noticed that on weekends, when you get a live person at Tech Support, they are based in the Philippines. I've had 2 techs in the last couple months (for issues with my 1 year old Desktop) based there, and they remind of me of back in the old days when Dell support was based out of Texas and the US. They actually listen, they really know their 'stuff,' they're not reading from a script, they don't disconnect you if they're at a loss how to fix your problem, and they actually send follow up emails.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Welcome to Dell Hell JP, I and millions of other frustrated Dell owners have been waiting for you ....  :emotion-4:

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor