Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

22 Posts

November 11th, 2009 14:00

Can anyone tell me how the he## I can un-subscribe from this thread of death? I have tried everything found by searching and the emails keep coming.

50 Posts

November 11th, 2009 14:00

Sorry to hear about your affliction, but that was very funny! On all those emails you get there is a link at the bottom of them where you can unsubscribe to the thread.

But why would you want to do that?!

36 Posts

November 11th, 2009 17:00

Can anyone tell me how the he## I can un-subscribe from this thread of death? I have tried everything found by searching and the emails keep coming.

LOL, that made me laugh *really* hard.

I was getting a bit sick of them filling my inbox too, as I was visiting the forums without a need for the reminders....and the ONLY way I found was to reply to a post in the relative thread, and remove the tick from the box that says 'email me when someone replies blah blah'. That was the only effective way for me...before that I tried all sorts...and failed. If that doesn't work, I'll apologise now for my tidings of doom infecting your inbox. LOL :emotion-4:

[To Danshevik)

Thanks, mate, that is handy to know....suppose I better stay in and wait for the door then. Cheers.

22 Posts

November 11th, 2009 21:00

Ah... thanks for the replies on the un-subscribe.  I'm trying it right now.

Cheers and good luck on your Win7 discs.

3 Posts

November 12th, 2009 00:00

Thanks for the info about unsubscribing, I am trying that now what a great help if it works.:emotion-2:

4 Posts

November 12th, 2009 04:00

Thanks for the info about unsubscribing, I am trying that now what a great help if it works.:emotion-2:

36 Posts

November 12th, 2009 06:00

Well my Windows 7 disc/s arrived at 10:50AM...they must have put a right scamper on as it only left East Mid not too long before.

Thanks for all your advice. Rest assured should I run into any installation problems I'll be back pecking your heads. I'll also keep popping in to see if everyone got sorted. Best of luck to those still waiting. Now for the installation...where's my geeky head....ahh, here it is :emotion-15:

5 Posts

November 12th, 2009 07:00

Yesterday my estimated shipping date was today, just logged on to check my order status and...... nothing, its just blank. its not shipped there is no new shipping date and i am non the wiser. I keep getting let down by dell, the computer is cracking but the service stinks!!

50 Posts

November 12th, 2009 07:00

Yesterday my estimated shipping date was today, just logged on to check my order status and...... nothing, its just blank. its not shipped there is no new shipping date and i am non the wiser. I keep getting let down by dell, the computer is cracking but the service stinks!!

From experience, when it goes blank, it means that Dell is sending the order through to UPS, and you should get an E-Mail in the next few days.

36 Posts

November 13th, 2009 20:00

Just to let you all know I've got it installed and I love it...well worth the hassle.

After all the stories I've heard of people running into issues and conflicts with the in-place upgrade method, I decided to do a full format and install....which amazingly these so called 'upgrade' discs DO let you do - to me they seem to be more like the full retail discs (but obviously OEM and tied to Dell specific machines). Here's what I did:

Backed up all my pics/vids/music/emails/bookmarks/important text and word docs/program installers, basically everything I needed off my old Vista installation, to my secondary hard drive. I then changed the BIOS setting to boot from CD/DVD so I could boot from the windows disc itself. From here, I chose custom (advanced) installation. Booting from the CD/DVD gives you the advanced option to format your drive/s, which you can't do when choosing the custom installation while in Windows. So I formated my C: drive....then I did a full, sparkling clean install of Windows 7. I was wary of that other Dell disc putting a load of bloatware on, so instead I used Windows update to catch a few drivers I needed, then went and installed Dell Support Centre off the actual website. This then gave me the option of geting the few remaining Dell specific drivers I needed....which I promptly installed. That all took not much more than an hour. Since then I've just been installing my old programs and putting all my stuff back off the secondary drive into my documents/pics/music/videos folders.

I've not run into a single issue, conflict or problem. I put this down to the clean install rather than the in-place upgrade. Sure, you have to back up all your important stuff and re-install drivers, programs, settings and-what-have-you, but at least you can be 100% positive that there are no phantom Vista files and registry entries cramping the style of  Windows 7.

I like Windows 7...it's very fast compared to Vista (maybe not quite as fast as XP though). It's just a bit confusing at first....what with the new style taskbar and all that, but I've got a feeling we're going to be very good friends. Right now I'm blowing a big fat raspberry at you, Windows Vista! LOL :emotion-4:

Again, good luck to you all for a speedy delivery and a problem free installation.

4 Posts

November 13th, 2009 21:00

Just replying to this so I can stop receiving e-mail updates.  Yes, it's that annoying.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2009 01:00

Just replying to this so I can stop receiving e-mail updates.  Yes, it's that annoying.

Me too really fed up now these cant be stopped :emotion-12:

2 Posts

November 14th, 2009 03:00

My estimated shipping date was 11/11/09, and when it got to that date it just dissapeared. :emotion-12: I'm assuming I'll get another date later on sometime, but if they say they're delivering it on the 11th, they should. I've already had it say it would be delivered on the 29th October, and that never happened either.

4 Posts

November 15th, 2009 09:00

I ordered on 21st October and got an estimate (after a few days) of 29th Oct. This then changed to 15th November, and it is now late on 15th and no sign of the status changing, I assume it will not be shipped today. I read of others ordering way after me and receiving their upgrade. I think the way Dell has dealt with this has been very poor, as the FAQs indicate any number of emails I should expect to receive, but I have actually received nothing.

I suppose I will now have to try to escalate into customer services. 

1 Message

November 15th, 2009 11:00

I also ordered on October 21. One day before Win7 was released. My mistake 1 day later and I never've had these anger. I ordered a Studio 15. One day after the order was set I sent a email to Dell to ask, if it's somehow possible to get the notebook with win7 installed. I got no answer. When I received my notebook, vista 64 home prem was installed. I registered for the "free" upgrade (about 20 Euro / 29.8 USD) and saw, that I'm only "allowed" to get Win7 home premium. Normally that would be okay for me. But as I saw, that from date of win7 release Dell offered the same notebook with the identical configuration together with win7 professional, 64bit, I wrote in total 3 emails since I received my notebook on October 30th. I got no answer to any of these emails. Thanks good that I didn't configured something in the order that I pay for any "extra" support. I think Dell should close the sites where it's possible to write emails to them. It only cost them money - they don't use it. I will be fair - for 2 of the emails I got an automatically answer, that they've had technical problems and were not able to read the emails (hrhrhr) - that was the reaso for my 3rd email. But I'm sure they haven't soved the problem until now because about 7 days have left and I still got no answer.

As you all know, Dell often is a little bit more expensive than the most competitors. I made my experience with Dell at work with a Laditude and I was happy with it. So after crashing down my 3 year old Asus notebook I directly watched for a Dell (the Asus wasn't bad and they have an excelent support). Now I know that this was a big mistake. I will never buy again a notebook from this i-net-shop that is not able to answer emails or maybe think that private users are not important enough to give them support or answers. And no, I didn't gave them a call - I know that they would have answered my question but I don't want to spend any more money on that Dell also not by ringing them up. From my point of you from today, I will never buy something from Dell again. I think Dell doesn't know or forgot that you only should have 2 kind of customers - satisfied customers and very satisfied customers. And the target is to switch the first into the second.

No Events found!