Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

September 7th, 2007 17:00

Win XP64 Installation fails on Dimension9200

Hi, I bought a Dimension9200 with 4G of RAM an WinXP a while ago. Finally I wanted to install WINXP64 (Dual Boot). The installation CD is accepted, shows all the kernel, driver and "stuff like that" messages. Finally when the XP64 should show up (the installation) I get a blue screen. I also tried to use F6 install option for RAID/AHCI (its a RAID0 configuration), but the same result: it shows all the drivers, kernels that are loaded, then the screen goes black for a second, then I get a bluescreen of death. Is there something special that I have to do? I installed WinXP64 on my Precision 390 without problems.. thanks and best, Walli

940 Posts

September 8th, 2007 01:00

I do remember reading here on the forums an issue with installing 64bit windows if you have 4GB of RAM. Try removing 2GB and installing again.

22 Posts

September 8th, 2007 02:00

I will try that, thanks!

22 Posts

September 8th, 2007 19:00

I unsintalled 2GB, but also with only 2GB WinXP64 won´t install, i still get a Blue Screen :-(

940 Posts

September 9th, 2007 01:00

I reread you OP and I think that your problem has to be with the SATA drivers. You do have the files downloaded from the Dell site, extracted onto a floppy right? And when you press F6 you are pointing to the floppy? If not then that is what you need to do.

22 Posts

September 9th, 2007 07:00

I used the files for WinXP64 from intel website - I will search the Dell website and try with those (if I find the correct driver ;-) By the way - I found an option in the BIOS for OS install, which limits the memory to 256mb. So it looks like there´s no need to physically take out the memory. Edit: On the Dell Website I don´t find the needed driver for WinXP64. When looking for regular WinXP, I find Intel Storage manager and Intel driver (the one I should use I guess for WinXP32) But when searching for WinXP64 I only find the Intel storage manager, not the Intel driver..

Message Edited by Walli on 09-09-2007 03:39 AM

22 Posts

September 9th, 2007 08:00

By the way, the Stop error code is this: 0x0000007B. On Microsoft the list as possible causes: -(rootkit) virus, shouldn´t be the case, but to be sure I made a scan an no virus was found -SATA driver issue So I think I just have to find the right driver :-(

940 Posts

September 9th, 2007 16:00

That stop code is from the SATA/RAID drivers missing. I looked and did not see the driver listed either, maybe try using the 32bit driver.
I do not know if you plan to use the RAID functions or not, if you are not then you can change the RAID options in the Bios and not need the drivers.
No Events found!