Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 5th, 2011 03:00

Window could not start. Hal.dll is missing or corrupt

Hi, I have problem with my windows XP home edition - sps3

My last known it was running windows update when completed updating I shut down and the next morning when I turned on I had a message:

Window could not start because the following file is missing
or corrupt:

\system32\hal.dll.  

Please re-intall a copy of the above file.

I google searched and found utube and it doesn't work (http://youtu.be/jvMkt9fkHCI). My computer doesn't boot up like in that utube.

Does any one out there know how to do it properly?

Please help me.  Thank you.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 5th, 2011 04:00

See THIS from Microsoft on how to fix it.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2011 12:00

Thank you fireberd for the tips. My computer can now log in and I didn't have to reinstall any programs which is the main thing. But one thing that I'm not quite sure what I have missed, computer doesn't turn off automatically when shut down.

On the screen it shows Microsoft Windows logo with "It is now safe to turn off your computer."

So each time I shut down I have to wait until that message to come up than only push the button to turn off. Is there any way that I can fix that issue? Can any one help?

November 21st, 2011 20:00

Your operating system got corrupted somehow.Most of the boot up of problem because of registry missing or crashed, file deleted or changed.Here is the solution to boot up your Windows:

Boot up with WinPE

Tenorshare Data Recovery WinPE allows users to burn ISO file to CD/DVD/USB flash drive and boot up operating system from bootable CD/DVD/USB flash drive directly.It can be used to retrieve data under any boot up problem.

Step 1: Download Tenorshare Data Recovery WinPE in any available computer (not from PC that can’t boot up). Then launch it.

Get it from  www.google.com/search

Step 2: Insert CD/DVD/USB flash drive to the computer, choose ISO image file. Here we take USB flash drive for example. Then burn ISO file into flash drive.

Step 3: Insert the burned flash drive to the unbootable PC. Run computer and press “F2”, ”F10” or “Delete” to enter BIOS setup.

Step 4: Use the arrow keys to select Boot tab, select Boot Device Priority and press Enter. Please choose 1st Boot Device to USB, and then press F10 to save setting. Now your computer will start with the changed settings automatically.

Then if you have a backup for your Windows then perform a system restore to fix it.If not,reinstall it.

No Events found!