Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 27th, 2017 19:00

Windows 10 Fall Creators update slowed Dell Inspiron 3541 down to a crawl!

My issues started when I updated to the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. Even though Dell states that my Dell Inspiron 3541 is fully compatible with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update and its not playing well with my laptop.  The mouse and screen freeze for 1 second and repeats every 2-3 seconds.   

I have updated windows and all dell drivers as needed at dell website.

I reverted back to my previous Windows 10 version and still had all of the same problems. The Laptop is still very very slow and frustrating.

i have not found anything on the web that relates to this.

I have checked system settings, devices and device settings, event logs, and monitored cpu, memory, and drive usage without finding a culprit.   I have optimized the laptop and run all Dell test.

I am currently doing a clean install of Windows, deleting all else on the laptop, in hopes it solves my issue. 

I have finished the clean install and re-checked to see if any updated drivers were available for every device in the system, l and still have the same issue.   

I did restart in Safe Mode and everything is back to normal if not faster.  When I reboot back into normal mode everything slows down.  

After doing a completely clean install in Windows 10, and checking for updated drivers, i have found that it is the entire system that is freezing every 2-3 seconds.   I also ended all services other than Windows tasks and found that I still have the same issue.  in Tasks Manager under the performance tab, the graph looks like a saw blade with spikes every 2-3 seconds.

Next I will start ending windows services to try and find with service is doing this.

Any Help would be appreciated.

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2017 11:00

I finally found and somewhat corrected the issue with my Laptop.   The Fall Creators Update caused my Radeon R4 Graphics adapter to go crazy.  I disabled it and all is well.  Microsoft and AMD need to get together and correct this issue with thier drivers that don't work!   And Dell needs to stop stating they have tested Microsoft's FCU with my Model Number Laptop with no problems.   Because that is not true for me and many others!  Laptop works great just can't do any intense graphics.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 29th, 2017 14:00

Since you have done a clean install of Win 10 and I assume not the Fall CU the problem would appear to be something other than the Fall CU and it was just coincidental.  

As it runs OK in Safe Mode, not all the device drivers and startup items are loaded in safe mode.  Could still be a device, along with some software service.

The free Resplendence Latency Mon may help in locating what is causing the problem.  Its a very useful tool.

www.resplendence.com/latencymon

5 Posts

October 29th, 2017 15:00

The clean install was FCU version 1709.  I will try the resplendence latencymon, and see what I can see.

I thank you for the response.

5 Posts

October 29th, 2017 17:00

I am trying to figure out what latencymon is telling me here.   But I wanted to thank you again for your help and let you see below what I am working with;  Thanks, Roy

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CONCLUSION

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.

LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  0:01:14  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-KSGBBHQ

OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 16299 (x64)

Hardware:                                             Inspiron 3541, Dell Inc.

CPU:                                                  AuthenticAMD AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics

Logical processors:                                   4

Processor groups:                                     1

RAM:                                                  7096 MB total

CPU SPEED

Reported CPU speed:                                   1797 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   397.258970

Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   8.624754

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       247.360679

Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       3.350291

REPORTED ISRs

Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              134.387869

Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0.043711

Driver with highest ISR total time:                   storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0.051756

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   16334

ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0

ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0

ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0

ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0

ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs

DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              504.929883

Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0.119414

Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         storport.sys - Microsoft Storage Port Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0.387725

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   71685

DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0

DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                114

DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0

DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0

DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 none

Total number of hard pagefaults                       0

Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          0

Highest hard pagefault resolution time (µs):          0.0

Total time spent in hard pagefaults (%):              0.0

Number of processes hit:                              0

PER CPU DATA

CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1.695642

CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                134.387869

CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.152301

CPU 0 ISR count:                                      16149

CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                484.250974

CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   1.001436

CPU 0 DPC count:                                      61848

CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.198051

CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                42.473011

CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.002158

CPU 1 ISR count:                                      185

CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                440.719533

CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.062052

CPU 1 DPC count:                                      3829

CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.168795

CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0

CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0

CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0

CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                338.579299

CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.055205

CPU 2 DPC count:                                      3556

CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       0.127817

CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0.0

CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0.0

CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0

CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                504.929883

CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0.038417

CPU 3 DPC count:                                      2566

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 30th, 2017 08:00

Sadly that did not help.

I would go back to the Windows version BEFORE the Fall CU and make sure it still works OK with that version.  Then let it do the upgrade.  

I had a problem with Edge browser after the update, as did several others according to posts on the www.tenforums.com  

I had a Macrium Reflect full disc image (backup) made before the upgrade.  I restored my system to that and then let it do the Fall CU again and Edge now works OK.

4 Posts

December 21st, 2017 18:00

I'm experiencing the exact same problem (same hardware, same symptoms). Were you able to find a solution?

2 Posts

December 27th, 2017 18:00

I am having the exact same problem with the same laptop.  Did a fresh install of Win 10 to no avail.  Disabling the Radeon adapter gets rid of the lag but now video is a lost cause.  Is there an alternate display adapter?

2 Posts

December 29th, 2017 10:00

Solved it!  I rolled back the driver to one dated in 11/16.  No more lag and I can play videos fine.  I fear it may auto update with the next Win 10 update or even on restart but I will simply rollback the driver again!

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2018 04:00

dodgerc, would you happen to have a link to the driver you used to solve the problem?

1 Message

January 26th, 2018 06:00

Please link us, I'm experiencing the same issues.

1 Message

March 9th, 2018 18:00

Just fixed this as well.  Here is a Dec 2016 driver... it works without the hiccups.

https://www.techspot.com/drivers/downloadnow/18009/?evp=3afdc5c782b7ed34ce74536d206ad187&file=1

1 Message

March 29th, 2018 15:00

Thank you so much for posting that link!  That HUGE slow down plagued me for months!  Learned a lot, because I thought it was a hardware issue, so I bought new RAM and installed it.  Thought it was an HDD issue, so I bought a new one and installed it.  Then, I thought it was the Meltdown/Spectre patch causing the slow down, so I actually ended up setting up a dual-boot system with the latest version of Ubuntu.  This whole time it was the driver. Dang, I feel dumb.

1 Message

February 22nd, 2020 03:00

Is there any other solution than downgrading the driver?

2 Posts

January 5th, 2021 07:00

Same issue here and disabling the Radeon helped the problems but made videos unwatchable. I went to Dell.com, searched for drivers by computer model number, chose windows version and video in their respective drop down menus. There was only one driver for me to choose once I filtered. I installed the “new” Radeon driver and all issues were fixed. I’m not sure if it was a downgrade or not but for our purposes so far so good. I know this is an old question but I figured if someone else goes down this path it may help someone fix their issue in the future. 

2 Posts

January 5th, 2021 08:00

Thanks for the info!

No Events found!