Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

October 29th, 2003 18:00

Windows 2000 Professional Rebooting

Just started last night. The computer Dimension 8200, P4, 1.9GHz, 40GB HD, with Windows 2000, 2yr old is now automatically rebooting itself while still in the process of opening my desktop. After a few seconds into opening the desktop, the system reboots. Momentarily (split second, eye blinking) "blue screen" appears with a few sentences of text. I used the Window 2K CD to repair, but that created an invalid path to Microsoft Word. I selected F-12 to reboot using the CD-ROM for the 2K CD. My next attempt is F-8 for "Safe Mode" to see if that will allow the computer to boot.

Anyone with a possible solution?

Eric

9 Posts

October 30th, 2003 12:00

I was able to boot into "Safe Mode" with the "Command Prompt" and deleted a program embedded into C:\Windows\System\. Someone downloaded a nasty program called "highscore.exe". After deleting the file I was able to access my desktop normally but without everything loaded on the task bar. Then I emptied my recycle bin after running the Anti Virus program. Not a single virus was found with the virus definition of Oct 24, 2003 from Symantec. However, after emptying the recycle bin my computer shutdown automatically, again. Back to step one.

There is an "ini" file that I am not sure of embedded in my hard drive named "tonyDbg.ini". Anyone familiar with the name?

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2003 04:00

I deleted the "tonyDbg.ini" file without any results with the normal desktop.

Back in Safe Mode, I right clicked on "My Computer". On the "System Properties" dialog box I selected the "Advance" tab and selected the "Startup and Recovery" option. With four options to choose from I "de-selected, un-checked" the "Automatically Reboot" option, then rebooted. Low and behold the dreadful "Blue Screen" appeared and stayed on. This time I was able to read the information. The following text was printed for your convenience:
"*** stop: 0x00000051, (0x0000000C, 0xC0000005, 0xB8769BD4, 0xB876982C) Registry_error. Beginning dump of physical memory. Physical memory dump complete. Contact System Administrator or technical support group".

Ok people, I am the "Administrator" and you who read this message thread are the "Technical support group". If you notice the technical, it is with a CAPITAL T.

Any assistance is highly recommended and appreciative.

Thank you. Believe me I will definitely keep you abreast with other steps I have taken and will take. I will keep you informed.

9 Posts

November 5th, 2003 00:00

Finally gave up and reinstalled Windows 2000. While the computer was in the process of setting up and reinstalling the software, the computer locked up three times. Three times! During the final setup and the two previously, there was an exception with the (RAS). What is that? I looked for the terminology and it means Remote Access Service Manager. Also my "promise" something, was needed during the final setup stage as well as COM+ that did not install. After the last installation I am now able to work with my desktop. However, there were several other problems which I was able to reinstall. But I am not able to log on to the internet because of RAS. The connection wizard doesn't recognize the modem or an IP server. The modem works using Hyperterminal, but not with Windows Explorer. I used the W2K CD and installed all the extra stuff by use of the Control Panel>Add and Remove feature. COM+ installed during that stage. But I am not able to connect to my internet provider. Removing and reinstalling the modem didn't work, neither by removing and reinstalling my IP.

What's next?

9 Posts

November 7th, 2003 00:00

This should be the last reply to me with this issue. I gave up and went ahead and loaded W2K, by overwriting the old files. Everything on my desktop is back as it was when I received my DELL two years ago. A word of caution to all you novice computer gurus like myself, BACKUP YOUR FILES! OR IF NOT, LOSE IT ALL! All my shortcuts, Microsoft Outlook email messages and everything I loaded were overwritten. Unfortunately I didn't follow my own advice and went ahead and loaded over the old "C:\WINNT". The program, W2K, warned me that this would happen. I went ahead anyway and pressed the "L" key. TOO LATE! Luck has it, I did choose to keep all my files on the C: drive, which were not affected.

Fortunately, I did move all "My Document" folders to another folder on the "C:" drive. But I forgot to move all my messages from Outlook Express and Microsoft Outlook. Now just a few more steps and I will be back up and running on the WWW from my home computer. Good thing that my work hours allows me time on the Computer. So as with all messages with the Support Forum, these messages will be buried like the thousands of other ones.

Good luck people.

No Events found!