Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2009 14:00

Windows 7 and Dimension 3000

When I ran the Windows 7 compatibility checker, I got a message that I my "current graphics adaptor won't suppor the Windows Aero user interface." Does anyone know if it's possible to upgrade my Dimension 3000 with itsDell E173FP monitor? My service contract has expired so I can't get a direct answer from Dell.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 29th, 2009 14:00

If you really want to upgrade to Win 7, you can live without Aero, which is the fancy transparent windows effect. However, waiting to buy a new computer with Win 7 might be the smarter move. A Dim 3000 really doesn't have the hardware to take advantage of Windows 7 and might need expensive upgrades. IMO, it's not worth the $120+ price for the OS upgrade disk. Keep your Win XP and use it until you can buy new.

16 Posts

January 28th, 2010 16:00

I love Dell computers on the whole, but at this point I've done what you are thinking about already. I had to locate and purchase a decent PCI video/graphics card and increase my SDRAM to 2GB. I've got a slave HDD with 320GB for storage since the drive my system came with is WAY TOO small. An option for the Windows 7 upgrade is to buy it on Ebay (cheaper than most retail stores) or look for a replacement for your tower. I noticed that BestBuy.com has a great refurbished tower (no monitor or keyboard or mouse) at their outlet site for around $400 but I cannot remember what  brand it was. It had tons of memory, hard drive space and a good CPU

77 Posts

February 11th, 2016 21:00

jhbou,

The answer is YES!

Here is a video of my installation on the DELL Dimension 3000 which was sooo old it only had IDE ports and CD-ROM Reader [No CD/DVD Burner!]

Install Video XP > Windows 7 :

No Events found!