Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 29th, 2011 04:00

Windows 7 broken on my new refurb

I have this problem:

when booting new (refurbished) Dell computer with Windows7.

"GK fail has already run at least once to find this system. you should only see this if you booted to the customer partition after an audit mode failure.
Use this cmd promt to troubleshoot the failure. To interact with the Vista desktop type "Desktop" [enter]. Closing or exiting this window in audit mode will reboot the system."
Dell support asked my to restore dell image (using f8 Computer repair on start up) but this did not complete for some reason. 
I have found a solution on MS Windows support:
"My research into the problem indicated that the OS was still in Audit Mode ( The OEM configuration tool ). It appears to have mistakenly shipped from Dell without being set for the Out of The Box Experience first time setup. I solved the problem by running "sysprep /oobe" at the command prompt and rebooting the computer. It then booted into the oobe routine and the computer has operated correctly since then"
But if I type in
"sysprep /oobe" it says that "sysprep" is not recognised as and internal or external command. Am i doing it wrong?
I can make it to windows if i type in "desktop", but do not have an install disc as Dell did not send me one with the system.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

9 Posts

September 29th, 2011 07:00

I am in the uk. Is there a UK link, or option to download and write to disc?

• 

17K Posts

Jatooli,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

You can fill out the online backup disk request form below to have Dell send you a Windows Disk.

Request Backup Disk

9 Posts

Thanks,

Do you think my problem can be solved with a simple reinstall as described here:

en.community.dell.com/.../1434.aspx

• 

17K Posts

September 29th, 2011 09:00

Jafooli,

You can contact the Technical Support in the UK to see if they could send you one.

Dell UK Tech Support

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 29th, 2011 09:00

Yes Jafooli my guide should work for you. I have done it with quite a few Dells. I have also done it on a few friends HP laptops.

Hopefully Dell will make Dell customised .iso images available to download sometime soon. The Idea I submitted for them to do so is currently under review in Dell IdeaStorm. You may add your vote by selecting promote (link below). I am in the U.K. also its a shame we don't get a request media link like in the U.S. but thats just the way it is.

If you have any warranty I would contact Dell Support to get the disc anyway. If you have none then the way I mention is better because it gives you a means to just download everything you need. 

No Events found!