Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2012 09:00

Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 530S

I have an Inspiron 530S and was wondering why Windows 7 is not compatible with that computer.

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

March 13th, 2012 09:00

Who says that? If it's dell, it just means that Dell doesn't support it. It does not mean it will not work. Run the Windows Upgrade advisor at MS to see if you can run it and what hardware/software changes you might need to make. www.microsoft.com/.../details.aspx

3 Posts

March 13th, 2012 10:00

It said that this computer is not compatible with Windows 7, restoring previous version.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

What EXACTLY did it say when "it said it wouldn't work" ... wording is everything.  It will usually tell you when required, but some systems require a BIOS update to be compatible with Windows 7.

3 Posts

I ran the upgrade advisor and it did tell me it would work, but when I tried to install windows 7 it said it wouldn't work on my computer and gave no reason why not.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

March 13th, 2012 11:00

jodylw

What is not compatible?

I received the same 'not compatible' message, when checking my Inspiron 530, that has the same motherboard and BIOS as the 530s version, for Win 7 compatiblity

I used an upgrade 32-bit copy of Win 7 Home Premium and everything went fine, Win 7 installed all the drivers, except for one and this driver was downloaded and installed, when I ran Microsoft's updates after the installation.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

jodylw

What is not compatible?

I received the same 'not compatible' message, when checking my Inspiron 530, that has the same motherboard and BIOS as the 530s version, for Win 7 compatiblity

I used an upgrade 32-bit copy of Win 7 Home Premium and everything went fine, Win 7 installed all the drivers, except for one and this driver was downloaded and installed, when I ran Microsoft's updates after the installation.

Bev.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

If you now have windows xp, you have to do a clean install using the upgrade disk. Directions at the windows 7 site here- windows.microsoft.com/.../Installing-and-reinstalling-Windows-7 You have to boot to the win 7 disk and select custom install. Then follow the directions under custom install with formatting. You should follow those directions even if you have Vista. Win 7 works better with a clean install.

1 Message

September 5th, 2014 17:00

My Inspiron 530 hasn't had any trouble with Windows 7 in well over a year of use, for what it's worth.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 6th, 2014 13:00

It would be best to start a new thread, using the New Post feature on the top right of this page, to start a new thread.   

This thread has been locked.

Bev.

No Events found!