Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 7th, 2012 07:00

Windows 7 reinstallation disc

I want to restore my laptop to its original factory settings to see if it will work faster but i dont have the reinstallation disc and it never came with it. My Laptop is a Dell XPS L501X. I would like to know how i get one.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 7th, 2012 09:00

If it came with Win 7 originally, there is a Dell recovery partition, accessed by F8 at Power On, that will restore the PC to the original factory condition.  

Here is the procedure.

If you must manually reinstall, you can download an iso of Windows 7, create an ISO DVD and then use that to boot from and install Windows 7.  You will need some Dell specific drivers, Win 7 will install some but you will need the Dell sound driver as the one Windows installs is only a basic driver. 

Windows 7 download  Download the same version as what you have now, e.g. Windows 7 Home 64 bit (an example) and use the Dell Windows 7 product key (sticker usually in battery compartment on laptops).

Dell manual install instructions

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 7th, 2012 10:00

OEM's (not just Dell) do not usually include the installation disk anymore, opting instead for a "recovery partition" to restore to factory condition.

In the US, you can request media from the link below, but I don't know about the UK:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

You can however download and install using an ISO from the link below, then activate by phone:

www.windows7hacker.com/.../download-retail-windows-7-iso-from-official-website

9 Posts

March 7th, 2012 10:00

There was no disc which came with the laptop but just had windows 7 just on the computer already. Is there no way i can get a reinstall disc which should have come with the laptop.

279 Posts

March 7th, 2012 16:00

You can also backup your windows activation using ABR, do a clean install of Windows 7 using the ISOs referenced above, then restore your activation. This eliminates the need to do a phone activation.

directedge.us/.../abr-activation-backup-and-restore

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

March 8th, 2012 00:00

See my wikies A Clean Install of Windows and Microsoft Downloads for details.

Woochman, does the website you linked require one to log in to see the rest of the content?

No Events found!