Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2011 12:00

Windows 7 reinstallation not accepting CD key

I have recently had to reinstall windows 7 on my studio 1500 laptop and it wont accept the cd key listed on my computer. My installation disk that came with my computer appears to be scratched and so i downloaded the home premium (same version previously on it) iso and wrote the boot code to a flash drive. after installing windows and updating drivers i entered the cd key and i get 0xC004E003 error saying that the "Software Licensing  Service reported license evaluation failed." any idea on how i could get this system up and running would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Damon Culp

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 20th, 2011 13:00

The Product Key on an OEM (Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) sticker is NOT compatible with other, non-matching types of media.  Since you cannot [legally] download a copy of Dell OEM Windows 7 media, you would have downloaded a Retail copy of the media (Retail media takes Retail keys, OEM media takes matching OEM keys (by "matching", HP, Dell, and other OEM's have specifically assigned Product Keys), VL media takes VL keys, etc.).

So ...

After making sure you have entered the Product Key exactly and correctly as it appears on the sticker, select the option to activate by phone.  It will give you a special code to give the Microsoft activation person, and if it checks out as legit, they will give you a special activation code which will allow Windows to activate.

No Events found!