Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 23rd, 2009 07:00

Windows 7

I appeared to have registered for the windows 7 upgrade, because when i try to register it says it is already registered.

But i havent received an email yet?

how long can it take to get it?

By the way i bought an dell xps 430.

October 23rd, 2009 22:00

Hello:

I know someone that has windows 7 and I was checking it out for myself. There features that I could like better. By the way I did not order windows 7 because I am not paying the extra $120.00 to upgrade, when I don't see nothing wrong with my windows vista home premium :)

Good luck

Mike

87 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 22:00

$120 !!! i just paid £15 or $25 for my upgrade,   I think its totally worth it as Vista in my opinion is just totally pants!

7 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 23:00

I ordered mine the night before Windows 7 was released. I got a email saying it went through and everything. I have a order number and a service tag number. For about 10 hours the status of my upgrade kit was "Processing". Now since yesterday and all of today the status has just disappeared, So it went from processing to blank. Anyone know what the problem is and when Dell will ship the upgrade kits out?

87 Posts

October 24th, 2009 00:00

Thats exactly what mine says, its just blank,  the web site also says that English version due date is the 26th October so i will check again on Monday to see what it says.

72 Posts

October 24th, 2009 07:00

I registered in July when I received my PC for the upgrade and that went fine, no issues.  I waited for the infamous email which has not yet come, so I eventually figured out I need to order the upgrade I registered for!!!!!!!!!!!  So I did that on the 22nd with very very slow site speed.  Now I have an order number and service tag on a form with no status.  I don't quite understand how Dell has had months to prepare for this and when it actually happens, it is poor communication and poor process execution.  What's going on Dell?  I bought my system in July because I was eligible for the upgrade and thought the pricing was competitive so I bought it. 

October 24th, 2009 08:00

I ordered mine the night before Windows 7 was released. I got a email saying it went through and everything. I have a order number and a service tag number. For about 10 hours the status of my upgrade kit was "Processing". Now since yesterday and all of today the status has just disappeared, So it went from processing to blank. Anyone know what the problem is and when Dell will ship the upgrade kits out?

That is exactly what happened to mine. I emailed Dell to ask them about it, and got an email saying "To check the status of your order, login to your account, and click on Order Status". Wow, thanks Dell! I am glad you think I am handicapped. If the order status feature was giving me the information it is supposed to, I would not have the problem.

8 Posts

October 24th, 2009 09:00

l

8 Posts

7 Posts

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.lol.  If anyone finds out any more infor please post it in here.

50 Posts

Well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one.lol.  If anyone finds out any more infor please post it in here.

Im upto the checkout screen now (using the link in a previous post) but (and there always is!)....you need an american express/mastercard/visa credit card...and i havent.

I paid for the computer with a debit card, so why cant i pay for this the same! Wow thats odd. I'm gunna have to use a relatives card now, am i allowed to do that on my own account?

8 Posts

October 24th, 2009 10:00

50 Posts

I've just placed my order, however, when i click on 'complete my order', it just took me back to the cart! So i clicked on order history and there is nothing there!

8 Posts

?

2 Posts

October 24th, 2009 11:00

I have a inspiron 1720. I see where  Dell is not supporting Win 7 with drivers for this laptop. Are there any options or do I need to get rid of this laptop and by another one?

Thanks

7 Posts

October 24th, 2009 12:00

Re the Win 7 upgrade: just like a few others here, some 2 weeks ago, my laptop 'tag' number failed to register. I then e-mailed the Dell 'Tag Transfer team'  dell_registration_transfer@dell.com  In their reply  I was told to try again.  I did so and I eventually managed to register my Inspiron laptop. 

Couple of days ago, I logged into my account then went to try and complete my order.  Duh! Yet more *very* frustrating and time wasting aggravation.

I duly completed the Win7 order form, name/shipping address, e-mail, my telephone number etc and ticked the boxes agreeing Dell's ''Terms & Conditions'. I then added my Visa credit card number, expiry date etc. I thought I'd completed everything okay and clicked on 'continue' to finalise the order.

Completed? No such luck!!!

I got a message saying 'there was an error with your order, please try again'!  Had the message told me what the error was, I could have quickly fixed it, but no,  the 'error' was yet another Dell mystery in this month of Dell mysteries!

After many more attempts during the next hour or so, all ending with the same 'error' message, I was about to give up in frustration and in total, absolute defeat!  Then it suddenly dawned on me, maybe I should try a different credit card? I did just that and hey presto!. the order completed!

At the outset, Dell advised that a shipping/handling charge would be payable and that I should have  my credit card to hand.  I followed the instructions properly but that just wasn't good enough!   There is nothing wrong with the Visa card I used, it is regularly in use and there has never been any problems with it. 

Ironically, the card that was accepted was *not* a credit card but was a Visa bank 'Debit' card', with no charges payable by Dell (the supplier) for the transaction. The first Visa card I used, the company always charge suppliers around 3% transaction fee, as do most credit card companies.  I can only assume that (the credit card charge) was the reason for the 'error' message I kept getting and the reason for Dell's 'secret' refusal to accept it.

Had the message pointed out that the credit card I used was the 'error' problem, I could have corrected it quickly. But not knowing what the problem was, cost me over an hour of my time! Thank you Dell !!   

I'm in the UK and the handling/shipping charge is 15 British pounds.  

Apologies for the lengthy post.

No Events found!