Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E

December 8th, 2013 03:00

Windows 8 Recovery with no OEM DVD or USB drive or recovery partition

HI

I'm trying to re-install Windows 8 as it is not working properly, but did not make a copy of the  Dell software image when I bought my Dell XPS 8500. I can not now make a copy of the software image.

When I use Dell Backup and Recovery, it says "it can not detect the recovery partition on this computer it may be missing or corrupt. To recover your computer to the original factory state and restore the recovery partition please use your system recovery discs"

In the past I would have just re-installed the OS from the provided discs and I'm not sure what to do next. At the moment the OS is not working correctly.

Help!

Thanks
Paul

12 Posts

December 29th, 2017 10:00

Dont  buy recovery discs for the dell xps 8500 they dont work what they sent me was windows 8 install disc now im asked to enter product key code

12 Posts

Dell only provides windows 8 or 8.1 install dvd I put the usb in and go through windows 8 setup and it ask me for product key code. They then sent me a dvd it does the same thing. I am still fighting with them to get the 19.99 back If i dont get it back I will make 1900 calls to dell out of warranty dept

Its the cost of doing business. Save the postage paid return label

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

Use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. It will give you an installation .iso that automatically inputs all Windows 8 OEM, Windows 8.1 OEM and Windows 10 OEM Product Keys selecting the correct Edition of Windows 10 to install alleviating the previous issues due to wrong Edition with Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and the original build of Windows 10. 

More details here:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-1709/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVoOflxM_Co&list=PL1RkaknDn7v-Ucth4gt0U3BHVSY7oNkWr&t=1s&index=1 

N.B. If the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool asks for a Product Key then there is a fault with the motherboard (it has lost its MSDM table).

No Events found!