Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 14th, 2012 11:00

Windows 8 install issue

Hello to all,

I recently (in the last 3 weeks) purchased a brand new Dell Inspiron N5110 laptop. It is running an Intel i5 processor and 6gb of ram with a

1TB harddrive. I am trying to install as a dual boot option WIndows 8 Preview Release. I have followed the install directions to the letter and when

it goes to the final dual boot screen and I select Windows 8, the screen goes black nothing else occurs. I am running Windows 8 on a laptop

that is at least 4 years old and a machine at work that is the same age with no problems. This is not my "first rodeo" and I know what how to do

these things. I have tries 4 times with different install disks with the no luck. I do not get whats going on. I did read something on a forum about

a possible resolution issue, I lowered the resolution and tried again NO LUCK. I have a friend at work running almost the same machine and his

works fine. I have opted for the upgrade offer Dell has to Windows 8, I simply cannot believe this laptop will not run Windows 8. Has anyone else

encountered this problem? I am reluctant to contact Dell tech support because they treat you like a moron and I don't care for it. I need some

honest feedback from people who are experienced. I have tried ever trick in my tool box to no avail. Thank you ahead of time to all who respond to

this thread.

Long Live The Empire!!

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 14th, 2012 13:00

Dell is not the place to ask about windows 8 since it is not their product. Microsoft is very responsive to the posts on the windows 8 forum here: answers.microsoft.com/.../windows_8 Check out the answers about installation and/or ask a question there.

2 Posts

July 16th, 2012 09:00

I feel this is a valid place to post this thread. While yes the OS is Microsoft and the driver issue is Intel's, Dell chose to use the integrated graphics in their  machine. If you chose to do a bit of research there are a lot of people out there with similar issues as mine and this is a perfect place to find possible solutions to a nagging problem. I also was on with Dell tech support this weekend which was of no help what so ever. Everything they had to offer was scripted. There are folks out there who are not savvy enough to dig to find answers and what a great place to find out such info as right here. Yes this is the place for this thread also considering that Microsoft is releasing a major OS possibly in Oct and Dell is offering an upgrade to Win 8. Would it not be nice to know if your machine will handle it with out any issues before you upgrade? I would!

2.5K Posts

July 16th, 2012 10:00

Mary G. is correct for the following reasons.  

1. Dell has absolutely nothing to do with beta releases.  

2. No manufacture, including Dell certifies beta releases.  

3. No one yet has final (RTM) version.  When the RTM version is released Dell will then and only then check for compatibility.  

4. Betas have always been buyer beware.  

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

July 16th, 2012 10:00

This is a fine place to post it ... it is no different from someone having problems installing Windows 7 on, say, an Inspiron 1520.  Windows 7 is newer than the computer, and as such, is not supported by Dell on that model, yet we help people all the time to [try to] install newer and unsupported operating systems on their computers.  Most of the time we are successful, sometimes it just can't be done (or the solution just eludes us).

Windows 8 drivers from Dell have "started" appearing for some models (none as of yet for the N5110), so Dell is working on on Windows 8 compatibility as we speak, and I'm sure Intel and Microsoft are still hammering out details and issues on their ends too.  The wording of the upgrade also seems to indicate that the upgrade can be used on a different computer and that the computer must also be compatible, although I would assume that the N5110 WILL be compatible ... eventually.  However, until Windows 8 is out of the beta stage and actually completed later this year, we need to keep things in perspective ... it is still early for expectations of full support by manufacturers and/or fully-developed OS features/operation/compatibility.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 17th, 2012 14:00

Is the screen blank or does it say some error message?

Does this happen with both 32 and 64 bit Windows 8?

I have successfully installed the 32 bit on a Latitude D820 and also the 64 bit on an XPS 8300.

I didn't like it too much however and reverted both back to 7 so personally I have much less experience with Windows 8 that I did for Windows 7 at the beta stage. I have it on a virtual machine on my XPS 8300 but had some issues putting it on a virtual machine for my Optiplex 760.

And I would say this is the correct place to post especially since some of the stickies of this forum are "Geared up for Windows 8?" and "Dell Windows 8 upgrade offer".

No Events found!