Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2004 18:00

Windows Explorer Error Message

I've been getting the following message just about every time I go to my documents:

Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

The program then freezes up the computer and I have to use Windows Task Manager to get it to close down.  What can I do?

860 Posts

October 12th, 2004 21:00

Do you have windows XP or windows me ? IF you have windows XP have you tried a system restore ? If you have tried a system restore try this insert the windows XP operating system cd and click start>run and type in sfc /scannow.

October 13th, 2004 06:00

Hi and thanks for your suggestion Jamez.  When you say system restore, are you saying that I have to restore from the cd's provided by Dell and then re-setup my entire computer, or try going back to to try various restore points?

2K Posts

October 13th, 2004 09:00

@media Trainer wrote:
Hi and thanks for your suggestion Jamez. When you say system restore, are you saying that I have to restore from the cd's provided by Dell and then re-setup my entire computer, or try going back to to try various restore points?

Windows XP:

Start--All Programs--Accessories--System Tools---System Restore

Restore my computer to an earlier time

Next.

Click on a restore point. If none is available for today, click on the calendar on an earlier date, (in bold) Then choose a restore point on the right of the calendar by clicking on it.

Next.

But make sure you pick a time and date prior to the Explorer Crashes.

Windows XP has an issue with Explorer Crashing when accessing a folder. I fixed it by going to
(In my documents) (toolbar)
Tools--Folder options---View (tab)
Check "Launch Folder Windows in a separate process" OK.
No Events found!