Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2007 02:00

Windows Explorer stops working, restarts when using Vista search (start > search)

So far, a bumpy ride.   Dell Precision M90 laptop, not a toy, not cheap.  Video is flaky (NVidia Quadra FX 2500) and have followed a couple threads (dell forums) for a few months now. Really can't believe they shipped this as a working product...

Enough ranting... :)

Current problem is Explorer (not IE7) is crashing periodically, can pretty much make it happen by using Start (ball/button) and typing in something I am looking for (pretty much launch every app and document this way...) At least 50% of the time it says Windows Explorer has stopped working and needs to restart.  Luckily it keeps chugging along and the start bar goes blank for just a second and then comes back up.

I was indexing everything and rolled it back to just Users and Program Files (and deleted the index cache/db/whatever) and it didnt help any.

Nothing out of the ordinary and I can't really pinpoint when it started to be honest.  Most obscure thing I run is PDANet which is a dial-up application for Palm Treo's... but it was doing it before that.

Office 07,  Adobe Creative Suite 3 Web Premium, Adobe Photoshop Lightroom, Nero 7, Active directory tools, etc.

Anyone have any ideas before I head down the long format/reload road?

Thanks

s

12.7K Posts

Run          sfc /scannow

39 Posts

Thanks, am I supposed to see something?  Started it, walked away and it ran and closed with no errors... unless it closes on errors.

39 Posts

September 18th, 2007 03:00

System File Checker? didnt put that together at first...

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"settings.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Sidebar, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

A few more with TCPMON :

Cannot repair member file [l:20{10}]"tcpmon.ini" of Microsoft-Windows-Printing-StandardPortMonitor-TCPMonINI, Version = 6.0.6000.16386, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_INTEL (0), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

So... printing and sidebar?  I am currently disconnected to several workgroup and domain printers as well as a couple usb printers...

All the rest are verify and complete... nothing stands out as being repaired and there wasn't a prompt to reboot...

Any ideas? Thanks for the help...

Message Edited by scotteredu on 09-17-2007 11:18 PM

12.7K Posts

No, no fanfare,it runs, it closes, it will replace any corrupted system files that are the wrong size, version, reboot for some changes to take effect.

It leaves a log file    Windows/Logs/CBS

Since the cbs.log may be huge (it's used by other programs besides the SFC),
you might want to do this:

To create relevant SFC-only information gleaned from the cbs.log, and put it
in a small file called sfcdetails.txt, right-click Command Prompt (using the
shortcut in Start Menu\Programs\Accessories) and choose Run as
Administrator. By default, the prompt starts in C:\Users\(Your Name).
Type:

cd desktop

Press Enter on your keyboard. Then Copy and Paste this at the prompt:

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Press Enter. Sfcdetails.txt should then appear on your Desktop.

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-17-2007 11:05 PM

12.7K Posts

Sorry I posted below the XXX's before your response. Worth a read I guess.

Here is a list of current IE7 Knowledge base articles, see if anything here sounds familair to your problem.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If there are any system files SFC could not repair, that means the good copies it needed are not stored in the Windows\winsxs\backup   folder

Here is a tutorial on how to extract the files you need from the Vista DVD

If all else fails you can do a repair install of Vista as described here

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/vista_faq.htm  just an extra link I tossed in.

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-17-2007 11:34 PM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 18th, 2007 13:00

At least 50% of the time it says Windows Explorer has stopped working and needs to restart. 

This sounds like SpyLocked. Any of the symptoms discussed in that article show up on your system? If you think it could be related, I would try the manual removal instructions in that article. I would not necessarily recommend installing the promoted software on that page, since I have not used or tested it.

12.7K Posts

September 18th, 2007 16:00

Bill is the link dead, or is it just my browser?

39 Posts

September 18th, 2007 16:00

The link worked for me, though I don't believe that is my issue. I don't see any of those processes running nor related DLL's.  I am going to install a different AV and spyware and see if anything shows... thanks.
s

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 19th, 2007 12:00

Might be your browser, mombodog. Try Googling "spylocked."

12.7K Posts

September 19th, 2007 14:00

Bill, finally got the link to work by turning off tcp autotune in Vista.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

September 19th, 2007 15:00

Did you get that idea from my other post? :smileywink:

12.7K Posts

September 19th, 2007 16:00

I will give you credit, but my short term memory is bad enough I don't always remember where I get solutions, but I used Google to find the tweak.

I find using Google is faster than my memory unfortunately.
No Events found!