Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2009 16:00

Windows Vista Home Premium OEM

I am having trouble deciding If I should buy this OEM copy of Windows vista or If I should just get the retail. Money is an issue, so I would obviously prefer to go with the cheapest solution. This operating system will be for a custom built computer I have just put together myself. This is the OEM copy of Windows Vista I am considering.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488

The customer review titled "A true OEM experience" confused me alot. I read plenty of reviews of people with almost no technical knowledge installing this on their new system, yet this guy is implying that it you need to be a "registered licensed builder with microsoft" for it to work. Does this mean I have to pay 220 dollars for the retail version? I just want to know if i can install the OEM version of windows without any problems!

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

August 19th, 2009 18:00

Julian8127,

Using an OEM version usually works only on a manufacturered system. You will need the full version of Windows to install, since this is a custom machine.

Rick

43 Posts

August 20th, 2009 21:00

Then why does it say "for system builders". I think you just confused me more ~_~

170 Posts

August 20th, 2009 23:00

Julian8127,

After reading the info from NewEgg, I would call MS and ask them before I paid $100 for something I couldn't legally use. 

Most OEMs I've heard of only offer software support for 30 -90 days, so you don't get much help there.

I would think, if you build your own copmputer you'll miss out on 30 days of software support and then be in the same situation as everyone else.

From Newegg for OEM version:

"This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings."

You're paying less because software support is not included. Check what support MS provides with their Full version, I checked quickly and didn't find anything about what kind of support or for how long. You would be your own software support, If you know where to find free (various windows help websites) and professional (not free, local computer shop with tech) help if needed, MS even has some reference sites and a forum. You'll have to decide on your comfort level with doing this, of coarse, if MS says it's legal for you to buy a OEM version.

Hope this helps, a little,

Dave

43 Posts

August 21st, 2009 07:00

Thanks for doing some research for me Dave. I think I made up my mind now on what I want to buy.

No Events found!