Message Edited by dslatkin on 12-05-2005 07:48 PM
Do you have ZoneAlarm installed? Your problem and blank desktops have been observed by those who downloaded and installed the free trial version of ZoneAlarm on a Windows XP SP2 system.
Briefly put, the problem is caused by a program that is trying to build an idlist (like handles, but faster). On Windows 2000 Server installations it was caused by a blank space in a logon script that was created when a faulty script was encountered. Fortunately, Windows 2000 Server had a command that could be used to correct the problem. I suspect your problem is caused by a script written for Win2K that has been modified for WinXP. Simple trial and error method would be to click on Start|Run. Type msconfig and press Enter. In the Startup section, uncheck a likely culprit (ZoneAlarm, etc). Apply and restart. Continue this procedure until you find the culprit. Not fancy, but you may find the answer to your problem.
I do not have zone alarm but I am running Trend Micro PC-Cillin 05, it has a firewall in it. I have never seen trend cause this, though I will not rule it out. That hardest part about trouble shooting this is that it is so sporadic it might happen twice a day or not for a week. I was thinking it had something to do with the bluetooth software so your analysis/info helps. I will let you know what I find.
Thank you for your help.
Okay, here's what I can tell you. You are not alone. Problem reported in France and Japan. My French is a little rusty, but the best I could translate the posts below is that a virus, spyware or music downloading software was the SUSPECTED culprit. No definitive answer. Just EWAGs (educated WAGs).
A better clue came from SARC (Symantec Antivirus Research Centr) regarding an old virus called W32.Sphit. That virus modified the following registry keys. Correct default values are shown below:
Default value is: %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist, %I %L
Default value is: [ViewFolder("%I", %I %S)]
Check these and see what you have.
Message Edited by tgsmith on 12-07-2005 12:04 AM
All of the registry settings are correct. I think I may have narrowed it down, it might have something to do with diskeeper 8.0. It was not running properly so I removed it and the problem has not happened since. I have been rebooting constantly to try and recreate it and it has not happened. I know that Diskeeper loads a system service so I am thinking that there was something with that service that was causing the problem. Thank you for all of your help, I will update this string if the problem comes about again.