Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 5th, 2005 23:00

Windows error when logging in: Windows cannot find '/idlist,

As you can tell from the subject line I am getting an error message when I log in.  The error message has the same first part "Windows cannot find '/idlist,:" after the : a different set of number come up and look like this "508:900".  I have no idea why this happens and it does not happen all of the time.  One more strange thing, when this happens it always loads with the windows explorer open to My documents.  Everything else appears to be working fine but I would really like to get rid of this error.  My hardware is as follows: Inspiron 6000D, Intel B/G wireless NIC, Dell internal Bluetooth adapter, 1.5GB RAM, 80 GB HD.  If anyone is experiencing similar problems or know what this error is and how to fix it please post.
Thank you,
Daniel

Message Edited by dslatkin on 12-05-2005 07:48 PM

2.9K Posts

December 6th, 2005 01:00

dslatkin,

Do you have ZoneAlarm installed?  Your problem and blank desktops have been observed by those who downloaded and installed the free trial version of ZoneAlarm on a Windows XP SP2 system.

Briefly put, the problem is caused by a program that is trying to build an idlist (like handles, but faster).  On Windows 2000 Server installations it was caused by a blank space in a logon script that was created when a faulty script was encountered. Fortunately, Windows 2000 Server had a command that could be used to correct the problem.  I suspect your problem is caused by a script written for Win2K that has been modified for WinXP. Simple trial and error method would be to click on Start|Run. Type msconfig and press Enter.  In the Startup section, uncheck a likely culprit (ZoneAlarm, etc). Apply and restart.  Continue this procedure until you find the culprit.  Not fancy, but you may find the answer to your problem.

Tony

11 Posts

December 6th, 2005 22:00

tgsmith,

I do not have zone alarm but I am running Trend Micro PC-Cillin 05, it has a firewall in it.  I have never seen trend cause this,  though I will not rule it out.  That hardest part about trouble shooting this is that it is so sporadic it might happen twice a day or not for a week.  I was thinking it had something to do with the bluetooth software so your analysis/info helps.  I will let you know what I find.

Thank you for your help.

2.9K Posts

December 7th, 2005 02:00

dslatkin,

Okay, here's what I can tell you. You are not alone. Problem reported in France and Japan. My French is a little rusty, but the best I could translate the posts below is that a virus, spyware or music downloading software was the SUSPECTED culprit. No definitive answer. Just EWAGs (educated WAGs).

http://forum.presence-pc.com/presencepc/Logiciels/Probleme-idlist-menu-demarrer-demarrage-sujet-12418-1.htm

A better clue came from SARC (Symantec Antivirus Research Centr) regarding an old virus called W32.Sphit. That virus modified the following registry keys. Correct default values are shown below:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell\Open\Command  

Default value is:     %SystemRoot%\Explorer.exe /idlist, %I %L

and

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\Shell\Open\ddeexec 

Default value is:     [ViewFolder("%I", %I %S)]

Check these and see what you have.

Tony

Message Edited by tgsmith on 12-07-2005 12:04 AM

11 Posts

December 7th, 2005 23:00

All of the registry settings are correct.  I think I may have narrowed it down, it might have something to do with diskeeper 8.0.  It was not running properly so I removed it and the problem has not happened since.  I have been rebooting constantly to try and recreate it and it has not happened.  I know that Diskeeper loads a system service so I am thinking that there was something with that service that was causing the problem.  Thank you for all of your help, I will update this string if the problem comes about again.

Thank you,

Daniel

3 Posts

December 19th, 2005 15:00

If you are using the Intel Wireless utility to manage your wireless connections, go to Intel's website and download the latest and greatest version.  It's more up-to-date than the version on Dell's website.  It's that software that's causing that pop-up on your screen.  I updated mine a week or so ago and haven't had a problem with that dialog since.

--Cross
No Events found!