Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 15th, 2013 16:00

Windows failed to start

I am trying to boot my computer, and received the following message:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. 1.       Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
  2. 2.       Choose your language settings, and then click “Next.”
  3. 3.       Click “Repair your computer.”

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\config\system

Info: Windows failed to load because the system registry file is missing, or corrupt.

Please note that this problem occurred on my first attempted boot after having installed Windows updates on November 13, 2013). (I always install updates whenever prompted). I have not had any problems with the computer at all, this came rather suddenly. It is 5 years old now, and runs a little slow, but that is about it.

I have a Dell XPS420, the operating system is English Windows Vista Home Premium SP1.

When I bought the system from Dell, I did not receive a Windows installation disc, so I can’t perform the suggested steps above. Also, note that my CD-ROM drive is not working – it has not read discs of any kind for some time now.

I tried booting from the last known good configuration, but that just brought me back to the above screen. I also tried booting in safe mode with the command prompt, but that also brought me back to the above screen.

Next, I ran Dell System Diagnostics (F12). After some time, I received the following message: “No problems have been found with this system so far. D you want to run the remaining memory tests? This will take about 30 minutes or more. Do you want to continue?” I then hit Y to continue the tests.

Pre-boot System Assessment complete. No diagnostic utility Partition identified. Please select OK to reboot your system. I then selected OK. But then I just go back to the same original message, and it fails to boot.

If anyone has any suggestions, they would be much appreciated.

David

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

November 16th, 2013 03:00

First check the hardware by running the F12 Pre-Boot diagnostics, your hard drive could be failing. See page 374 of Windows Reinstallation Guide/F12 Pre-Boot Diagnostics:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

If they pass then follow StartUp Repair (page 353). You will need a Windows Vista installation disc to do this. As you dn't have one follow the steps here on another computer to download and create a bootable Windows Vista USB stick:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/download-vista-sp1-iso/

You may also carry out a clean installation which is more recommended to do this see Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows Vista (page 142).

November 17th, 2013 02:00

Thanks very much for your help.  I have followed the instructions, created a Vista folder, installed imgburn, and carried out the first few steps (select create image files from files/folders. Load the vista folder and go to advanced settings. Select bootable disc. Select make image bootable. For developer ID type in Microsoft Corporation. Load Segment type in 07C0 and load sector to 4). But when I press the button to create the image, I get the following message: "You have not selected a file to act as the boot image," and it will not create the .iso file. What file should I be selecting as the boot image?  Thanks again.

No Events found!