Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 19th, 2016 09:00

Windows updates not installing

Dell Inspiron One 2305

4.00 gb memory - AMD Athlon II x2 250u processor

On 4/13, I downloaded and successfully installed 13 windows security updates. On 4/16, I thought I would run a Disk Cleanup since it had been a while. On 4/17, I received notice that 2 important windows upates (3019978 & 3075220) were ready to download and install. After trying to do the install, they both failed. Many times I tried to no avail. I then thought maybe the disk cleanup removed some file I needed for this process. I then ran a system restore back to 4/13 and prior to the disk cleanup. It took about an hour for that process to complete but it did and now system runs a little slower but it runs. Unfortunately, the system restore did not solve the update install problem. They still fail and I am in a loop now where they keep showing up and asking to be installed before shutdown. I have tried a few fixes on my own: Services -- where you reset the update services process. No deal. Microsoft FixIt tool. No deal. Troubleshoot problems - no deal. Would taking it back to prior 4/13 with system restore do any good? Could some help be offered for this dilemma?? Thank you.
MWB premium and Avast Free anti-virus - also Malware anti-exploit free

10 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 16:00

Thank you. I managed to get a solution from Microsoft so all is solved.

• 

17K Posts

April 19th, 2016 10:00

ritkit16,

What OS do you have installed on the Inspiron One 2305? You can click the link below for information installing the updates. Dell only supports Windows 7 64 bit OS on this computer. If you have installed Windows 8/8.1 or windows 10 you will need to contact Microsoft for support installing the Windows  security updates.  You can also click the link below to see how to install the updates.

This issue may occur when corruption exists in the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) Manifest. You can download the updates directly from Microsoft website by the following link for the KB article provided by you.

Security Update for Windows 8.1 (KB3019978)

Security Update for Windows 7 (KB3075220)

For me to better assist in troubleshooting, please click my DELL-Jesse L and send me a Private Message with the Dell Service Tag number and your Dell Order number.

You would click my name in blue, then on the next page in the upper right corner, click the words "send private message"

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2016 05:00

ritkit16,

Yes, it should be installed to add more security for your windows 7 OS..

10 Posts

April 20th, 2016 16:00

Thanks. When I tried to install it, got the following: "not applicable to this computer." Hmm. I have turned off automatic windows update process to get out of the loop mentioned above. I know I need to get the update thing fixed but so far, no luck.

10 Posts

April 21st, 2016 05:00

I failed to mention in the first entry that I had a Fatal System error after the system restore. The number of the error was c000021a. Can you help with that. Thanks.

• 

17K Posts

April 21st, 2016 06:00

ritkit16,

You can click the link below for possible resolution to this error.

Blue Screen Error: c000021a Fatal System Error

[Solved] Error during startup: Stop: c000021a (Fatal System Error)

Jesse

No Events found!