Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2005 17:00

Windows won't start-Can't do repair installation.

My Computer game me and error (don't remember what it is) & told me to run CHKDSK, which I did.  Nothing happened but chkdsk  gave me a message that it will run it when I rebot. I did rebot, but then Windows XP (Home Edition) would not start. I tried all the "remedies"  Safe mode....etc, but it still would not start. I restarted the computer went to the start-up menu (F8). Press enter, then accept the agreement BUT there is no repair options, only the option to do a clean installation. I tried that multiple times but still no option to do a repair installation.

This is the message I get when I try to rebot:: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt: \Windows\System32\config\system.

Is there a way to repair/copy that without doing a clean installation.

I don't mind doing a clean installation as 95% of my data is backed up. The only thing preventing me from doing a clean installation right now is one little bit of info that I didn't backed up.

9 Posts

October 12th, 2005 18:00

Yes I did. I tried to repair from the disc, the only option I get is to do a clean installation.

13 Posts

1. Boot your computer in Recovery Console (to get it just boot from the XP CD and select Recovery consol)

2. It will ask you to enter your password, if anything is there, provide. Or just press enter.

3. Execute these commands

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG
MD BACKUP

COPY SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\BACKUP
COPY SOFTWARE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\BACKUP
COPY DEFAULT C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\BACKUP
COPY SECURITY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\BACKUP
COPY SAM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\BACKUP

DEL SYSTEM
DEL SOFTWARE
DEL DEFAULT
DEL SECURITY
DEL SAM

COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SYSTEM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\
COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SOFTWARE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\
COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\DEFAULT C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\
COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SECURITY C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\
COPY C:\WINDOWS\REPAIR\SAM C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\

Ok. Now restart the computer. Windows must be working. but the newly installed applications may not be accessible. you need to reinstall that one. Have nice time. Lemme know if it works

9 Posts

Thanks, I will try that soon as I get home.

265 Posts

Have you tried to use you XP disk to do a repair?

9 Posts

October 13th, 2005 12:00

I tried your advice BUT when I type: CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG, I get the message "folder not found" or something to that effect & when I type: MD BACKUP-I get the message: Access is Denied. 

This is what I am currently doing: I re-installed Windows XP, BUT did it to a different folder which I called "Windowsss" . So now I have 2 windows installation on my PC-I moved the filed that I needed from the "Old Owner's Document folder" to the "New Owner's Document Folder". I installed some programs on the new installation & did a test-backup one of the files-it worked. I had other stuff to do so I didn't get to backup up all the files that I needed. I will back them up tonight & if I am successful I will format the Hard Drive this weekend & do a clean installation, unless I can get rid of the old one & keep the new one, but I am leaning to a complete new installation if I get to backup all my files.

Is this a good idea what I am doing?

PS. When I now boot up the computer I get the option of choosing which installation of windows to use-The new one & the "non working" one. So far the new installation is working fine.

THANKS FOR YOUR ADVISE.

No Events found!