luckydenim5
1 Nickel

Re: XP Clock Problem

Sorry ~ this issue is no longer resolved.  I appreciate the helpSmiley Happy
0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Ruthenium

Do you have a network time protocol (NTP) client installed?  If you did, I'd say check the configuration and make sure its not trying to "fix" your time to a different timezone.

Does the time drift slowly off, or sudden jump to being hours off? 

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

And have you scanned for malware lately?

Ron 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
luckydenim5
1 Nickel

How do I find out if I do have NTP?

It will be randomly in a different time - several hours off. It is not a drifting process. I cannot change it manually. (see previous posts.)  It is perpetually on the wrong time.

Yes, I have checked for malware, etc.

Message Edited by luckydenim5 on 06-10-2008 01:50 PM
Message Edited by luckydenim5 on 06-10-2008 01:50 PM
0 Kudos
DELL-Larry R
4 Ruthenium

You have already made sure the clock in the BIOS is set correctly, yes?  If not, see if that makes a difference.

Most OSs read the system time from teh BIOS when they start up, and write the 'current time' to the BIOS when they shut down.  If that clock is off, for whatever reason, it could be messing up the clock in Windows. 

0 Kudos
luckydenim5
1 Nickel

Yes, the BIOS clock is correct.  Have checked several different times.
0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Try booting in Safe Mode (F8 before XP starts to load). If the Windows clock is correct, some driver or software loading at startup is syncing the clock in a different time zone. You'll have to do process of elimination to figure out who's the culpret.

Ron 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
luckydenim5
1 Nickel

What a challenging mystery this is!  Smiley Surprised

I do appreciate all the help from you two.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy  

Well...  I started in safe mode.  Time was incorrect in safe mode as well, but it allowed me to change the time manually without immediately changing it back.  It usually immediately changes back to the wrong time before the Adjust Date/Time window even closes.

I then proceeded to open in regular mode and ended all non-essential programs and haven't narrowed it down completely yet, but I did notice that after ending Ez-off (which was not active at the time, but loaded in the taskbar only), among others, it did allow me to manually change the time.

It does not retain the time I manually reset it to at restart. 

And, now, when I set it to the right time manually, it has started loosing minutes - going slow.  It looses an average of 3 minutes per 30 minutes or so, just at 1st glance/guess.

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Do we need a new battery on the motherboard?

Ron 

Ron

Forum Member since 2004
   I am not a Dell employee

0 Kudos
luckydenim5
1 Nickel

As I had read that solution on other blogs, I have already tried a new battery to no avail.
0 Kudos