Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2004 10:00

XP Firewall Protection And McAfee's: Both On At Same Time ?

Hello:

New user of XP.

Just received my new 4700, and guess it comes with McAfee Virus Protection and Personal Firewall installed.

Both appear to be running.

Have heard, but not looked into, that XP comes with a firewall.
Also, that is turned on by default.

My questions are:

a. Can the XP firewall "co-exist" with the McAfee one ?

-Do you really want both to be running at the same time ?

b. Same question for virus protection.
Have use Norton Anti Virus in the past, and was thinking of installing it again
in my new PC.

Do you want McAfee and Norton virus protection on at the same time ?

-If not, which do you think is "better ?

Thanks,
Bob

3K Posts

November 29th, 2004 11:00

It's generally not a good idea to run 2 firewalls simultaneously - they tend to "fight" with each other, especially in conditions relating to file sharing and remote access/assistance.  Personally speaking, I think the built in XP firewall is more than adequate for average home use (and yes, I'm aware of the "outbound traffic" argument), but to each his/her own, I guess.

Regarding AV protection, it's been claimed that it's possible to run two applications at the same time, but I don't see much point in it, and there have been a number of reports of the same kinds of problems with 2 AV apps running at the same time as those seen with trying to run 2 firewalls simultaneously.  Both scenarios strike me as being tremendous overkill for average use, and an invitation for all sorts of possible problems at best. 

Message Edited by Flooby on 11-29-2004 08:43 AM

13 Posts

November 30th, 2004 22:00

In addition to the previous post, I have also heard a lot of talk about many programs performing "irratically" with the use of two firewalls. Especially if you set the firewall to allow internet access to a program but forget to set it on the other firewall, this can get very annoying. My suggestion, stick with one.

JHerb
No Events found!