Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2008 18:00

XP Home Stop Error 0x0000008e loading personnal settings

XP SP3

Vostro 1000 boots to accounts page. Selecting an account, services load to the system tray and stop occurs.

System will boot into safe mode. Account created in safe mode will not load. How should I troubleshoot which service(?) is causing the error?

The system may have been powered off when saving personal setting after uninstalling software. Would an in-place install correct this? Any help is appreciated before attempting a complete re-install. Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2008 03:00

A "System Restore" MAY fix the problem.  System Restore can be accessed from start/programs/accessories/system tools.  Restore the PC to a date prior to the problem (you can run System Restore in the Safe Mode).  Also, if it's a problem with one account, deleting that account and establishing a new one for that user sometimes will correct an account. 

2 Posts

December 24th, 2008 07:00

Sorry, forgot to add that I had tried Syetem Restore. It let's me select a restore point but doesn't 'run' after confirming the selection. The system stays on that screen and you can only cancel it. I stopped it after 5 minutes

I had created an account while in safe mode but the stop still occurred after restarting. It happens for all accounts. Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 24th, 2008 10:00

See THIS Microsoft tech article, it could be a memory or some other hardware problem.

No Events found!