Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 9th, 2006 19:00

XP Pro-InstallShield error 6001

When I attempt to install any new program, I get an InstallShield Wizard window with the error 6001. It tells me to close all programs, delete temp files and try again. I do this and get the same result. Thanks, Bruce

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 10th, 2006 00:00

Error: InstallShield error code -6001 during setup.

SUMMARY:
During installation you may receive an InstallShield error that returns an error code '-6001'.

SOLUTION:
This InstallShield error indicates a corrupt verison of InstallShield is installed on your computer. To correct this issue, simply delete the following folder from your computer and attempt to run the installer again:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Professional\RunTime\ ####
where #### may be something like "0701" (without the quotes), the version number for InstallShield on your system. You should browse to the \runtime folder to find that file name so you can delete it.

If this fails to correct the problem, we recommend you RENAME (not delete) the entire C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\ folder and try again. You may rename the folder to anything you like, but we recommend something similar to 'InstallShield-old'.

Message Edited by RoHe on 03-09-2006 06:42 PM

3.2K Posts

March 10th, 2006 01:00

If that does not do the trick, you can download and run the Microsoft Installer Cleanup Utility . . then reinstall the Microsoft Installer

18 Posts

March 10th, 2006 18:00

First, Thank you very much. I deleted the "7101" file and that did not work, so I restored it and then renamed the InstallShield Folder to "InstallsShield Old". The latter did the trick and the three installations I needed to make worked fine. I assume I just leave it as is, or is there some other permanent steps to take?

Thanks again, Bruce

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 10th, 2006 19:00

Glad that fixed it. I presume you don't have to do anything else. If you run MS Installer Cleanup Utility that was posted, it will probably uninstall the functional InstallShield but likely won't touch the folder you renamed "old". Looks like you may be stuck with some junk on the HD unless somebody else has any other options.

BTW: did you check to see if perhaps the 'old' folder was removed by InstallShield when you installed those other apps. Probably too much to ask... ;)

Ron

18 Posts

March 10th, 2006 19:00

Ron, of course it is not too much to ask. You were there for me.

Both folders are still there. It did not remove the "Old" folder.

Bruce

No Events found!