Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 20th, 2007 18:00

XP versus Vista

I have had Vista now for close totwo months and, like a host of others,  am more than ready to go back to XP Professional until Vista has all its bugs sorted out.  My dislikes refer to speed, failure to recognise some software, hardware and drivers and it freezes regularly.  Other than that it's O.K.!!!

How do I go about reinstalling XP on the very latest high  end   Inspiron E1705.  Does it have to be a clean from start installation? Does the new Vista driven mother board support XP drivers?  If not, where do I go from there.

Your help please.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 20th, 2007 20:00

Sorry to hear you are having problems.  I upgraded my E510 desktop from XP Media Center to Vista Home Premium the day it came out and wouldn't consider going back to XP.  I had a minor software problem (one program was not Vista compatible) but I didn't really use that program so it wasn't a "loss".  No hardware problems as the PC was "vista ready" (except I had to upgrade the BIOS), Vista drivers were available for my sound and video cards and my Epson all in one printer/scanner.

If you wanted to install XP, you would have to reformat and reinstall everything.  Check the Dell downloads to see if all the XP drivers are there.  If not, you should reconsider.

549 Posts

May 20th, 2007 21:00

Hi
Like fireberd, I upgraded my E510 from Winxp Media. I thought it was very slow.
i went back and did a upgrade/clean install. Vista is running great now. Even my old
HP PSC 750 worked and i have it networked with my XP home machine. I have a good
internet connection and Vista connects faster than XP. I did upgrade to 2gig of memory
and better vid. card. One other thing i did was turn off that annoying UAC feature.
 Good luck.

2.7K Posts

May 20th, 2007 21:00

My dislikes refer to speed, failure to recognize some software, hardware and drivers and it freezes regularly. 

And you think this is a Vista problem
1 some software did you check to see if it is Vista ready did Microsoft right the software?
2 hardware did you check it to see if it was Vista ready .Microsoft did not build the hardware
3 Microsoft did not write the driver.
4 Sure go buy a new XP pro to replace Vista on a new PC boy that does not make sence to me
But i am not the one going back to XP.
5 Have you looked on the XP forum to see all of the XP bugs it is having too.
Looks to me like XP has just as much trouble as Vista and maybe more ! 
Sure go back to XP with all of it,s bugs not me .
Good luck with the XP bugs LOL.
See yea.

197 Posts

May 20th, 2007 22:00

Why would you want to downgrade and put a old 6 year old OS on your computer. XP does work but it is very ugly. The Luna theme is the worst looking thing ever. When I was using XP I switched it right away to the classic look and I can't understand why anyone in their thick mind would use the Luna theme like my cousin does. Vista is much prettier.

517 Posts

May 20th, 2007 23:00

Murdoch Matheson wrote:
I have had Vista now for close totwo months and, like a host of others,  am more than ready to go back to XP Professional until Vista has all its bugs sorted out.  My dislikes refer to speed, failure to recognise some software, hardware and drivers and it freezes regularly.  Other than that it's O.K.!!!

How do I go about reinstalling XP on the very latest high  end   Inspiron E1705.  Does it have to be a clean from start installation? Does the new Vista driven mother board support XP drivers?  If not, where do I go from there.

Your help please.

You may be better off to try and solve the Vista 'problems' rather than reverting to XP.

May 20th, 2007 23:00

I think that Vista is having the same teething problems that all new or updated OS have had.  It is just so darn irritating to find that Microsoft offers a new system and to blazes with hardware and software and drivers you have that are not compatible. For example anything older than Adobe 7 it just doesn;'t recognise.  I was very comfortable with XP and I never had any but miniscule problems. My colleagues are of similar opinion as are others such as the following links lead you to. 
Thank you for your comments though, I am just too impatient to try and come to grips with Vista right now.  I am in my late seventies....I just don't have the time!! 

517 Posts

May 21st, 2007 00:00

Software and hardware companies had lots of time to develop drivers for Vista before it's public release. Many companies were developing (and releasing) beta drivers for many builds of Vista during the entire beta cycle.
There is no excuse for companies waiting months after Vista's RTM (release to manufacturing, Nov '06) to have drivers/updates available. This was a major OS, after all.

Message Edited by jmfmvps on 05-20-2007 09:01 PM

17 Posts

May 21st, 2007 09:00

can xp be upgraded to vista with the vista upgrade dvd.I ask this on the microsoft site
is says that you cannot upgrade 32 bit to 64 bit software.Are 32 bit vista home basic
the same as xp home the same.They have alot in common??.Yes there is a 64 bit
xp it seems.Did it sell well no.Why do 3rd party software people do what to talk
about vista.I may have ago with vista 32bit.Microsoft seem to what sell 100% of
worlds software and seem vista is the way they tring to do it.THE WORD UPGRADE
SEEM TO BE MISUSED.Microsoft also appear to have said that vista thing for pc
purchase between two dates???????are free.I told there anther ways to get same
vista features??????.Why dose Bill need more money?????

2.7K Posts

May 21st, 2007 14:00

Hi Vistadog
Windows XP HOME is the = to Vista Home 32 bit
XP PRO is the = to Vista Business 32 bit
XP MEDIA EDTION is the = to Vista home premium 32 bit
and all of these can be upgraded to Vista Ultimate 32 bit
If you have any version the above you can not UPGRADE to Vista 64 bit
EDTION it has to be a clean install only. Microsoft told you right on that.

If you have any of the upper versions in 64 bit you can upgrade it to a 64 bit version
You can not upgrade from Windows XP PRO 64 bit to ANY version of Vista 64 bit
it has to be a clean install only.
Vista is not just 64 bit software.
Vista 64 bit comes on it.s own DVD  !
Vista 32 bit comes on it,s own DVD  !
If you do not understand why Bill need more money by now you will never understand it.
Why does Dell need more money ? Can you answer that ?
Have a Good Day !

15 Posts

May 21st, 2007 14:00

My vista seems faster than XP and I find it much easier to trouble shoot vista than I ever did with XP.

May 21st, 2007 16:00

I agree with the original poster. I had to return a new Dell AMD Dual Core system because Vista just ran at an intolerable crawl. I couldn't get any work done. I too believe I will want to WIPE VISTA and do an install of Win XP.

I have been trying to get a straight answer to this question too. Unfortunately, too many folks seem to be put off by the question. Perhaps some of them would comment on whether they have any stake in VISTA being a winning OS or not. .Personally, I think Vista is pretty, but pretty doesn't get things done. There is a reason that Dell began offering XP again on their low end and top end machines. The reason is that VISTA DOES NOT WORK WELL for many users. In contrast XP requires far fewer computer resources, runs much faster and is much more stable.

The tech people who run the 200 or so systems in my office all say that Vista is to be avoided. My experience with Vista was dismal. Why would anyone want to pay for a huge upgrade in hardware and get a huge downgrade in system performance? I have purchased a much more powerful Dell system (XPS 410). I was disappointed that I could not get it with XP pre-installed. Instead, I will have to wipe VISTA myself if the system performance is equally dismall on the XPS as it was with the much cheaper AMD Dual Core system.

A few simple walk throughs would really be appreciated. I don't have a dog in this fight. VISTA may become a nice OS (especially after the release of SP 1, expected around the end of the year). But as it stands now VISTA fails to meet the needs of many computer users. 

..... Help this guy out please.

......There are quite a few users who just want our computer's to perform at a basic level and we haven't gotten that with VISTA.

1.1K Posts

May 21st, 2007 18:00

Vista AMD Dell Dual Core user, no major problems so far. Incompatable software seems to be big issue. Items I did to ensure smooth transition:
1.Did my homework and became aware of possible issues.
2.Got rid of programs that I knew would have problems, for example:
3.If a new system, remove all the "bloatware".
4.Vista when initially installed will be slower for the 1st week or so till the hard drive is fully indexed
5.Remove Goggle Desktop and Toolbar, this will really slow system down while Vista is indexing the hard drive, and in my opion is not needed.

BTW: From what I read there will be no SP1 for Vista, Microsoft will instead issue updates "piecemeal" since this would be less costly to do for them.
Just an opinion on the subject.

May 21st, 2007 19:00

Thank you for your response.  I am convinced, more than ever, that I am doing the right thing in reverting to XP Professional for the time being.

Productivity is the name of the game and I just do not feel I should have to devote ever increasing time to isolate problems, find  solutions on some time consuming and hard to navigate web site and then get on with my usual work or leisure time computer use.  In another year or so I am sure most of the bugs and drawbacks will have been resolved and I will then adopt Vista with open arms.  Mind you, it is not quite the horror show Windows Millennium was.

One unmentioned Vista issue is the debilitating affect Aero has on battery life.  Switching it off, however, has an immediate and ultra positive effect but you do lose the 3D effects.  Big deal!   Having said that, I do think the options one has with battery settings on Vista is really great and allows one to choose what is best for you at any particular time.  Vista has many positives. 

To those who say software and hardware developers are more or as much to blame than Microsoft for all these flaws in that they did not respond fully during the time that Vista was in Beta format.  That aside, there was no promotional mention ever from Microsoft that problems with some older hardware and software would occur for purchasers of Vista.  None.  Nada.   The truth of the matter is that Vista was really forced on the public with an aggressive push by Microsoft and then to have all existing XP OS software withdrawn and returned from the retail level. You have to go on line now to find a copy of XP.

I just can’t help but compare Microsoft and Boeing. What would it be like if Boeing took its Dreamliner to the air and then blamed suppliers for any subsequent operating problems!!  What’s a wee crash here or there?  Complain,  and you’d be told your travel agent is somewhat to blame and download  whatever was needed to resolve issues from their sites. 

On the positive side, it does give us something to talk about.  My original question is still somewhat unanswered:-  My Vista is a 32 bit offering as is my XP. I am still wondering if the  motherboard in my Dell E1705 running Vista Home Premium will recognise my XP drivers or will even accept a bare bones clean hard drive installation of XP Professional.

Thanks again.

MM

1.1K Posts

May 21st, 2007 20:00

You make 2 very good points. The battery drain with Vista and productivity issues. XP Pro wins that hands down. I remember ME all to well also. You could try the portable forum for the driver issues.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 21st, 2007 22:00

The battery drain on a laptop for some functions may hold water.  The rest of your "reasons" are the same reasons we heard from people that didn't like XP when it came out.  There was a lot of older software and hardware that was not XP compatible and people complained about that and many vendors were slow to make drivers available for devices that were XP compatible.  Starting with XP, Microsoft is no longer making the operating systems 100% backward compatible like they did with older operating systems but they still have the "compatibility mode" options like they do in XP.

But, the bottom line is gets back to "managing change".  Some can accept change and some cannot or do not want to.  Having been a Network and help desk manager for a large Federal Government Agency, until I retired, the "managing change" was a major "block" that we had to deal with as many users would have problems adjusting to new hardware and software or procedures.
No Events found!