Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2009 11:00

XP won't boot and can't get XP to repair

I'm new here and didn't know where to start.  sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

I have a Dell Dimensions 8400 running Windows XP Pro.

I did a hard restart today (pressing the power button) and now I can't get my machine to reboot. I have tried safe mode, last known good config, etc. No joy.

It keeps saying: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system".

I have unplugged everything except my monitor, keyboard and mouse.  Retried all possible solutions and still no luck.

I have tried inserting my XP OS disk to repair or set up XP and again no joy. I each of these cases I get to the point were it asks me which drive "1. c:\" and when I enter that I get the blue screen of death that says "Bad_pool_caller" with the following error codes: “*** stop:  0x000000c2 (0x00000043, 0xC2eb8000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)”

Any suggestions? 

• 

16.7K Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

Maine Stef,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

At this point it doesnt look like a repair will work. You may want to consider formatting and reinstalling Windows. It would avoid alot of errors and save you possible headaches down the road.

14.4K Posts

February 1st, 2009 18:00

You can try a Repair Reinstall as one last resort. Else you will need to do like Dell Jesse L has suggested. IF you have files and such on the drive your best option at this point would be to get a new drive to do the reinstall on. Then you can plug in your orginal drive as a secondary drive to recover the file or if you have access to another computer you can add your drive to that one and try to recover your files.

2 Posts

February 4th, 2009 07:00

Thanks everyone.

I ended up spending $79 to buy a new 500G HD (a major upgade from the 160G I had).  I have never installed an internal HD before and needless to say I was more than a little worried.  But, I'm now officially a pro.

I installed the new HD, loaded the new OS (XP Pro), installed the drivers, got the whole thing working and then to prove I was no longer afraid....I installed the old HD.  Now that provided some new challenges.  The folder with all of the files I cared about was tied to the my old XP password login.  I couldn't get into it.  But, eventually I figured out how to switch the ownership and WOW, I am back and better than ever.  I don't know as I could teach anyone to do what I did.  It was mostly hunting and guessing. 

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.  If you run into this problem and find this thread...follow the advice.  You will be made whole again.

253 Posts

February 5th, 2009 15:00

Hi there

Try This article from microsoft.

Good Luck

No Events found!