Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2009 10:00

XPS One A2024 and Windows 7 64 bit

I bought an A2024 with Windows Vista Home premium 32 bit a year ago. Since that time I have been trying to upgrade to the Ultimate edition 64 bit. My system has the Nvidia GeForce 9600M video graphics card. All the drivers for this system come in 32 bit and 64 bit except for the Nvidia Video card. So I figured no problem, just go to the Nvidia Web site and download the 64 bit driver. When I tried it, it came up with a message that it could not install because it did not recognize the hardware configuration. After thinking about it, it made since because the driver was for a laptop and this system is not a laptop. So I went back to the Vista 32bit version. I can't believe that Dell did not provide a 64 bit driver since this machine is capable of running a 64 bit OS but that is another story.

When I bought the full version of Windows 7 Ultimate, the sales person at Dell convinced me that all drivers for 64 bit would be available including the 64 bit driver for Windows 7. On my first clean install of Windows 7 64 bit, sure enough during the first windows update download there was a 64 bit driver for the video card and it installed cleanly. After about 5 minutes, the video card driver would stop running and recover and this would keep occurring. At the same time I noticed that the mouse was running erratically and mouse pointers would change. So I did a clean install of the 32 bit version. Two days ago I noticed on the Drivers download page for my system that now there were 64 bit drivers for Windows 7. So I thought  great!!! I immediately reinstalled the 64 bit version of Windows 7 thinking that the problem with the video driver was resolved. I also tried to download the Bios update which does not install at all. It comes up with a message to check to see if the system is running 32 bit or 64 bit. Right now I have the standard VGA driver running which of course I lose a lot of functionallity.

Need people out there to talk about this system. It is a good machine but Dell did not do a good job of providing a 64 bit driver for the Nvidia card.

1 Message

January 31st, 2010 08:00

So, were you able to get windows 7 installed and ALL component working properly? I would like to upgrade but have some trepidation that some aspects may not work....

No Events found!