Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 3rd, 2011 01:00

XPS400 wont boot

i have an xps 400 that was working fine,shut down a couple days ago ,now it won't start up.On start-up it goes thru dell logo screen then screen with blue bar on top"recovery section" ,then to another black screen that says windows was unabe to start due to a software probem,it states, load needed DLLs for kernal, please contact your support person ,and thats all it doe's.I have tryed to repair from system disk but it wont boot ,just stays idle,i have tryed to change the boot menu,but it wont go there either,and i have been doing that the correct way as ive done it many times on this and other pc's,do any of you guys know whats up? I am shur the keyboard is ok because if i hit any key on it it starts the whole log on over again,and i amgetting lights at cd drives and hhd,but im not getting any beep or diagnostic lite with a code, please help!

4 Posts

November 1st, 2011 14:00

@grg123 ,thanks for responding,this was not the problem,but i just fixed it yesterday,as it turns out when trying to boot from recovery cd the disk ,even the recovery cd would not start,after turning on at power button all drives would ligth up and spol-upjust not start so i finally realized that i was trying to runthe disk in my cdrw drive,and never once did i try to load it thru my dvdrw drive ,so i loaded the disk in the second optical drive and the recovery went fine so im back in business again .So i now know to always tr the second cd drive because in the boot order it only showed 1 drive,even thought i have 2.so thanks guys mark me fixed!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 04:00

Can you press F12 at POST and access the hardware diagnostics?  If you can, run those and see if anything shows up.

Can you access the Setup (BIOS) with F2 at POST?  If not, reset the CMOS memory (BIOS) and see what happens.  Easiest way, just remove the CR2032 battery on the motherboard (with the PC powered off) for about 10 minutes.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2011 02:00

I have tried all your suggestions ,and so far nothing works, i was thinking of removeing the harddrive and adding it to another pc running XP like piggy backing it and going to CMD and doing a check disc with repair and maybe that would fix the dlls problem,if this would work what would i have todo to the drive as far as jumpers if needed,then what would i type in on command promt screen?   Thanks again for your help.

4 Posts

October 5th, 2011 16:00

I have tried all your suggestions ,and so far nothing works, i was thinking of removeing the harddrive and adding it to another pc running XP like piggy backing it and going to CMD and doing a check disc with repair and maybe that would fix the dlls problem,if this would work what would i have todo to the drive as far as jumpers if needed,then what would i type in on command promt screen?   Thanks again for your help

8 Posts

October 29th, 2011 01:00

I had similar problem which I solved.  May I refer you to this thread?  en.community.dell.com/.../19409495.aspx

No Events found!