Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 8th, 2004 18:00

add text to PDF file?

So I have a PDF file that I downloaded for school. The directions tell me that it must be TYPED, except the file doesn't allow me to add text before I print. Now, I know I've done that before with other PDF files. (I asked the office and they said to use Word... except Word doesn't open PDF files. The next thing I can think of is a typewriter, except... who even has a typewriter anymore? Ugh.) Is there any way I can do this (i.e. add text to the file before I print)?

146 Posts

February 8th, 2004 18:00

Do a google search, here is a free editor that should do it

Http://www.pdf995.com/

February 9th, 2004 01:00

Ok folks, here is one of the best "freebies" your going to find anywhere. It is a free stand alone PDF creating program like Adobe Acrobat Pro (Writer). It's only about 8megs in size, works flawlessly and is fully compatable with Acrobat Reader.

Get it here: https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796

Have Fun!

Greg

Message Edited by Greg Gaudreau on 02-10-2004 05:43 PM

35 Posts

February 9th, 2004 01:00

I don't think you can add text to a .pdf file. Adding text or comments requires a .pdf writing program such as Adobe Acrobat writer which costs $500.00. Think of a.pdf file as an image of a page. You are better off re-typing the text to Word program.

Message Edited by TedN77 on 02-08-2004 10:04 PM

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2004 03:00

Very nice utility! I've just installed it, and it's looking good! (Win2K/SP3 is the OS)

Thanks for the tip!

Jim

February 9th, 2004 15:00

Glad you liked it! I thought it was a pretty good find too.

Greg

February 9th, 2004 16:00

Greg, you will be interested in knowing that PhotoShop Essentials includes a PDF writer/editor.  Which of the versions of the file writer should be used of the three that are listed.  The first?

February 9th, 2004 19:00

Hi Lawrence,

I have used the Photoshop PDF Writer. I think you'll enjoy using this stand alone because it is really easy to work with but has most of the Acorobat Pro type features.

The one I downloaded and have been using is: PDFCreator-0_8_0_Beta_1_AFPLGhostscript.exe.

Cheers,

Greg

4.4K Posts

February 9th, 2004 19:00

For what it's worth, I downloaded the 7.1 release. It looks like there are some potentially very useful features being added in Version 8. I have that link in my bookmarks now.

Jim

35 Posts

February 9th, 2004 22:00

Thanks Guys! Glad to know threre are inexpensive .pdf writers out there!
No Events found!