Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 20th, 2011 14:00

bitlocker/tpm problem (i think)

I reloaded windows 7 ultimate on my PC (Dell Dimension E521) because I had malware and wanted a clean start. When I loaded Windows 7 everything looked good, except the hard drive is showing as full even though the only thing on the HDD is Windows 7 and Office 2007. I keep getting these messages that my HDD is full and I can't do much with my PC because I am out of disk space. I have a 500gb HDD.

After a lot of research it looks like the problem is bitlocker, I must have activated it the last time I installed Windows and it is keeping those encrpyted files on my PC (or at least a place holder for them). So i tried to turn off bitlocker but I can't even get into the bitlocker menu because I need TPM 1.2 (trusted platform Module). I tried to download TPM 1.2 from CNET but it says to get it through windows update. I ran every possible update you can get on this PC and still no TPM. I know that you have to activate TPM once it is installed in the BIOS, there is no option to do that after hitting f2 during start up and selecting security so I am 99% sure it is not installed.

Does anyone know of a direct download link for TPM 1.2?

I am not 100% sure the problem is TPM/bitlocker.

If anyone has any advice I would greatly appreciate it.

BTW I did a lot of searching and didn't see anyone else with the same problem, the only TPM related post I could find is the one below which didn't answer my questions.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/18390575/18513561.aspx

thanks!

Scott

September 20th, 2011 15:00

I figure it out, it wasn't a bitlocker/tpm problem...

Here is the answer:

Go to you're C:\ drive. and if you see windows.old or old.windows delete that and it will free up ALOT of space on you're hard drive

source:

www.howtogeek.com/.../hard-drive-full-after-installing-windows-7

No Events found!