Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 29th, 2010 15:00

changing search provider in IE 8

[Vista x64 running on 530S with dell-implemented IE] When I start IE I get an error msg:

"A program has corrupted default search..."

Then after a few seconds the search settings window opens, where Live SEarch is listed as the default.

I've disabled all add-ons and reinstalled various search providers (e.g., google). but I cannot change the default or disable Live Search. I've rolled Vista back to earlier restore points, run full virus scans, and for good measure defragged the HD. Questions:

How can I disable Live Search?

Can irt be removed completely?

Does Dell have a software fix for corrupted Dell-implemented IE besides reinstalling the entire OS?

Would it be wise to download & install IE 8 over Dell's IE?

Help with any of these would be appreciated. thx ed

20.5K Posts

October 29th, 2010 18:00

Give this a try:

Start Internet Explorer as Admin.
1. Right-click, choose "Run as Administrator".
2. Go to Tools>Internet Options - General tab, Search section - Settings button > Find Search Providers link (at the bottom of the dialog)
3. Now add your new search providers. Make a new one your default. Then delete the Live entry.
4. Close IE.
5. Start as normal.

See if that helps.

33 Posts

October 29th, 2010 19:00

Give this a try:

Start Internet Explorer as Admin.
1. Right-click, choose "Run as Administrator".
2. Go to Tools>Internet Options - General tab, Search section - Settings button > Find Search Providers link (at the bottom of the dialog)
3. Now add your new search providers. Make a new one your default. Then delete the Live entry.
4. Close IE.
5. Start as normal.

See if that helps.

Thanks, I'd done that.I was able to replace Live Search with others. But the error screen and search-config. page still come up automatically. And I still can't change the default except by going to the internet options tab.Other than this, IE seems to be working fine. Puzzling.

20.5K Posts

October 30th, 2010 19:00

Sometimes we have problems with security interfering with registry changes. Have you enabled any security that is programmed to prevent changes to searches or browser redirects? Try logging on as Admin again, and going offline. Disable all your security including anti-virus.

Next, go to Tools / internet options / advanced / reset. Close IE, run it again.
It will reset everything to the default but it should also ask you if you want to enable or disable, as well as allow you to select the search providers.

Don't forget to enable your security before going online again.

33 Posts

November 1st, 2010 02:00

Sometimes we have problems with security interfering with registry changes. Have you enabled any security that is programmed to prevent changes to searches or browser redirects? Try logging on as Admin again, and going offline. Disable all your security including anti-virus. (AVG, which I've had here all along and which never had previoult caused this trouble with IE).

Next, go to Tools / internet options / advanced / reset. Close IE, run it again.
It will reset everything to the default but it should also ask you if you want to enable or disable, as well as allow you to select the search providers.

Don't forget to enable your security before going online again.

I hadn't made any security changes, at least deliberately; the services list doesn't tell me anything new. I tried your suggestion, with no luck. Even running the recipe after uninstalling my antivirus pgm (AVG Pro, which in the past worked fine with IE, no conflicts or hangups) completely didn't change the behavior, and anyway I don't run real-time protection. I did notice one thing though: In a guest (nonadministrator) account the add-ons window worked fine; I could change the default search provider at will.So then I set up another admin. account; again IE works fine in that account. Yet the properties pages of the three shortcuts are exactly the same. finally, the behavior is the same if the shortcuts point to the 64 bit or x86 version of IE: it works OK in the other accounts, but doesn't work in my usual (administrator) account where the error showed up in the first place.

As I said, I've rolled back to previous restore points,. The only software I'd installed before this problem was a trial of Acronis backup, and I've uninstalled that while working on this. I did install a trial version of Avast AV in my virtual machine (W2K running in a sun/oracle virtualbox). But that VM has been off while the problem with IE has continued, and of course the Avast doesn't even show up in the programs list for the Vista host. But that VM has been off while the problem with IE has continued, and of course the Avast doesn't even show up in the programs list for the Vista host.

I see a number of calls to IE in my AppData folders, but nothing that I'm comfortable letting get rebuilt as I've done successfully with other broken pgms. ech!

No Events found!