Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 21st, 2008 15:00

clean install inspiron 1100

Last year the fine folks at dell sent me 5 discs to reinstall xp home and upgrade from sp1 to sp2. I finally got around to it yesterday but was confused when I got to the part at :http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html where it says " you will see a change display settings, say yes, and accept the setting if you can see the screen after accepting". I clicked let windows automatically adjust settings and now my screen resolution is very low and only have 16 bit color depth. Since to change it it says I needed drivers I installed the second disc in the pack containing support software and then when I went to install the third disc in the pack "device drivers-diagnostics and  utilities" It said I have to uninstall some drivers in order to install these drivers. I'm getting lost here. Can anyone Point me in the right direction?  Thanks   If I have to do the reinstall again could you clear up the confusing line above about "seeing the screen"

12.1K Posts

June 21st, 2008 15:00

When you install windows for the first time it will load the MS generic drivers so your display will not show the proper resolutions or 32 bit color.  You will have to install the current video card driver for that and reset the resolutions at that time. 

Did you install the required driver linked below  ?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R112112&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&servicetag =&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3526&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=4&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=6&fileid=146526

35 Posts

June 23rd, 2008 03:00

Thanks very much for your help. I'm a carpenter not an engineer so I need it!

I noticed the driver at the site you gave was dated 2005. I had the thought that if I had installed the "device drivers/diagnostics and utilities" disc (#3 on the invoice) first instead of #2 (antivirus software,support software,multimedia software,internet software) which I used, I might have got it right because they sent me the discs on 11/28/2006. So I reinstalled the operating system again and I will just wait to hear from you if you think I should try that or use the site.  Thanks again!

12.1K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 10:00

After installing the operating system, the next important driver will be the ChipSet.  After the ChipSet driver is installed, the video chip driver ( Linked again below ) should be installed and if necessary, the resolutions should be entered in Display properties if it does not do so automatically.  Do not install the anti virus software or other programs until you install the ChipSet and video chip driver  Dell System Utility driver first.

After the two drivers mentioned above are installed, you should install the modem driver and then everything else for your system.

ChipSet Driver

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R50830&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&servicetag =&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=1134&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=27&fileid=60098

Video chip driver. 

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R112112&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100&servicetag =&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=3526&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=4&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=6&fileid=146526

Dell Notebook System Software driver

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Download all Microsoft Critical Updates as well....

Other drivers from the driver download site if you have these on your system.  We don't know ourselves

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=&SystemID=INS_PNT_CEL_1100

Message Edited by SR45 on 06-23-2008 07:51 AM

1.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 19:00

The full list of drivers for the Inspiron 1100, and the order it is recommended they be installed, is:

• Dell Notebook System Software
  • Intel Chipset driver
  • ATI Mobile Radeon 7500 video driver
  • SigmaTel STAC 9750 audio driver
  • Broadcom 4401 Integrated Controller driver (LOM)
  • MDC (modem) driver
  • Wireless MiniPCI driver (if customer has a device)
  • Synaptics touchpad drivers

The Notebook System Software needs to be installed first, followed by the Chipset.  All of the drivers after that can be installed in whatever order you wish.  Most people install the video drivers next so they don't have to stay with the default 800x600 (SVGA) resolution the MS default video driver supports.

The links SR45 list above are for the latest Dell versions of those specific drivers.  You can view the full list here

Message Edited by DELL-Larry_R on 06-23-2008 03:17 PM

12.1K Posts

June 23rd, 2008 22:00

Of course the 1100 system does not come with a dedicated video card so the 7500 driver is a no go that was listed just above.  The one I posted is the one to use.  Thanks Dell-Larry about the  Notebook System Software first over the ChipSet driver.

35 Posts

June 24th, 2008 05:00

Well when I saw that the notebook system software would take over 2 hours to download on my dial-up I installed it from the disc that dell sent since it says on the website its optional and it seems fairly generic. However everything they sent says "inspiron ME051"....I therefore downloaded your recommended video and chipset drivers and also the modem driver to my dimension desktop, burnt them to disc and they installed fine 0n the 1100 except for the modem driver. It says I have no modem??????

35 Posts

June 24th, 2008 13:00

Thank you both very much. Went I went to the link I didn't see modem and signed off. It was under "communications". Once that was installed the driver installed too. This thread is good. Dell rocks!
Message Edited by madjac on 07-01-2008 09:04 AM

1.7K Posts

July 8th, 2008 18:00

Yeah, the video card driver is for the inspiron 5100, which is mostly identical to the 1100.  In fact, I think the video card was the only real difference between the two.  The page I pulled the list from was for both the 5100 and the 1100, which is why it included that driver.
No Events found!