Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 28th, 2008 17:00

control panel missimg options

hi, my control panel has lost some of the change remove butons for most of my programs. if they do have the option to add or remove the info like the usage wil be wrong. i have many programs i need to cleanup but cannot get any options to remove them. especially all the old java versions which i have been advises to unistall and install the  most current version. thanks in advance.

INSPIRON 9300 XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION with xp pro sp2
100 GIG  68 free 1 gig ram

200 ghz pentium M

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 28th, 2008 23:00

Scanned for malware lately?

Read All Installed Programs May Not Be Displayed in the Add/Remove Programs Tool

MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP (EXPORT) A COPY OF THE REGISTRY BEFORE MAKING CHANGES! ;)

Did you use the scroll bar to scroll all the way down? Sometimes there can be a huge empty gap in the Add/Remove list. 

Usage data in Add/Remove control panel is frequently meaningless!.

<> 

<>Ron<>

Message Edited by RoHe on 04-28-2008 05:09 PM

37 Posts

April 29th, 2008 10:00

Ah did recently recover from a severe malware attack which took me days to get cleaned up. Somehow I managed to get every know Trojan attack of the week LOL bugbatter had me do a lot of things and I did finally get a clean report from him. I read the article you linked me 2 and will try that. There isn't a gap between things in the add remove programs but they do appear written in a different type of font i.e. .AOL- aio , I386 i386. Does that mean anything? I am not so concerned about that as not having the ability to use the feature to uninstall programs when one has no uninstall of its own.

Thanks Brenda

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 29th, 2008 17:00

If that MS article doesn't help, you can try running a windows system file check:

click start>run

type in: sfc /scannow

(space between sfc and /)

click ok

Insert XP CD if sfc requests it and reboot when it's done.

sfc won't fix registry problems, and I suspect that's what you have, but it won't hurt anything.

Ron 

37 Posts

April 30th, 2008 03:00

I ran the sfc and it reported Files that are required for windows to run must be copied to the dll cache insert XP pro cd2 now. Problem is I do not have the CD I did not get any with this laptop I asked dell for the cds and I received one DVD reinstall for XP media center v 2005. rollup 2.  I tried using that and of course it said it was not the right one  for the operating system that I have is there another way to get those files or to repair the dll cache?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 30th, 2008 16:00

Your original post says you have Media Center, but now you're saying the system doesn't recognize the disk as MCE? (MCE is XPpro with an overlay.)

If that's the case, contact Dell again and explain the problem. They had some problems a while back with MCE disks but I thought that had been resolved.

If sfc isn't finding backup copies of the requested files in the c:\i386 folder on the hard drive, then you need the Windows CD.

Ron 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 1st, 2008 12:00

Brenda, you still have an open thread on the HijackThis Board. We were not finished with that.

37 Posts

May 1st, 2008 15:00

I am still trying to get the control panel option fixed so i can remove the the old java versions which I am under the impression I need to do before installing new java . I was able to remove some of it but there are 3  or 4 versions I don't get the remove option for and I don't know how to get them off without fixing this control panel issue? The versions I cannot uninstall are j2SE 5.0 update 6,10 11 and java 2 runtime SE v1.4.2_03. I thought you wanted me to post this issue about the control panel on the XP forum. Please advise ?

Thanks Brenda

37 Posts

May 1st, 2008 16:00

Yes the pc does have mce and xppro I ordered it like that I am never quite sure which version to go by when troubleshooting . I still have dell support available for this pc do I ask them for another copy of my software I can't find the forum I used before to get the link to order a new one. Thanks Brenda

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

May 1st, 2008 17:00

If you still have an open thread with bugbatter, maybe you should clear that up before trying to fix the rest of it.

You can request a new backup MCE disk here.

I recently updated Java to v6, update 5, and didn't remove the prior version first. Didn't seem to matter.  In fact it looks like the install probably removed the old version, because it isn't listed in Add/Remove now.

Ron 

3 Apprentice

• 

20.5K Posts

May 2nd, 2008 15:00

JavaRa will remove old and redundant versions of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in addition to some log files and temporary files that JRE leaves behind.

Usually older versions of programs are removed during the install of new versions but Sun (the owner of Java) has somehow decided not to do this. The result is that a number of different versions of the JRE may exist on your computer. These older versions potentially pose a threat to your sense of security due to the possible vulnerabilities or security holes that may exist in them.

Java advises users to always have the latest version of the Java Runtime Environment (JRE). The latest version is always the recommended version because it contains updates and improvements to previous versions of the JRE. The latest available version is always compatible with the older versions.

But they also tell you that you can keep older versions of the JRE installed, in case you have an applet or an application that still depends upon a previous version. But this warning is quite useless as all applets and applications should be kept updated to ensure a maximum level of safety and security.

Downloadable here.

No Events found!