Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2011 09:00

error message after reinstalling windows vista business from disk- product key required

Hello, after reinstalling windows vista on my dell inspiron 1300 from the disk supplied with it, i am getting error messages saying the copy of windows is not genuine and please enter the product key. This seems a simple enough request but i originally asked for xp to be installed when purchasing the computer even though the computer should of had vista. This means the label stuck to the computer has the xp product key and the reinstallation disk provided was vista and so does not have a product key..........any suggestions?  i have read that somewhere on my computer is a partition that has the original xp os on it even though i overwrote with the vista disk, i would be happy to have xp back!!

olly

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 31st, 2011 13:00

No the Dell Inspiron 1300 is too old to have a recovery partition. Even if it did have one it would probably be wiped when Vista was installed.

This model runs Vista pretty horrendously. I done it when Vista was first released Experience rating 1.0. I have also managed to get Windows 7 running on it (runs a bit better then Vista did).

Do you have your Windows XP disc? It should look like this:

The purple disc at the bottom (the others aren't so important). These set of discs are actually from my Inspiron 1300. The Inspiron 1300 wasn't really designed with Vista in mind. You should of got XP discs with it and not Vista discs. Note the COA on the base of the unit (it could have XP Professional instead of XP Home). Do you have this disc anywhere? Do you have any other Dell systems with Windows XP?

This computer must have a Vista Business Retail or Upgrade disc and so the product key should be in the DVD case with the restore disc.

If a Dell Vista Business disc was provided with this system, somethings wrong and I don't think will unlock in the Inspiron 1300's BIOs.

3 Posts

August 6th, 2011 07:00

Hello thanks for this most helpful, i have the blue and green discs but not the purple, as i said, i was given the vista disc not the xp one with the computer. is there any other options to re install xp you can think of?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 6th, 2011 10:00

You really need a Dell XP Home Disc or XP Professional Disc (depending what your sticker says).

One can be found on the likes of eBay here.

However, if you have a friend with a Dell Computer with Windows XP Home or Professional, you may use their disc or copy you're own from it using nlite.

Finally if in the U.S. you may be able to order backup CDs via this link.

3 Posts

August 7th, 2011 13:00

Oh ok so i can use any xp recovery disc from a Dell laptop, thats worth knowing, i will give this a go, many thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2011 13:00

Yes you can, it will probably work.

But you should use an XP Home one if your sticker says XP Home.

You should use an XP Professional disc if your sticker says XP Professional.

And finally you should use an XP Media Centre Edition if your sticker says XP Media Centre Edition. However I think it won't be Media Centre Edition, I don't recall it being sold with this laptop.

If the Dell XP discs are installed in a Dell BIOs they automatically activate. All 3 versions would activate in your BIOs but to be legitimate get the same version as the sticker says.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

August 7th, 2011 14:00

Once you have the disc, you will need to insert it in the computer. Power down the computer and press and hold F12 while powering back up. Select boot from CD/DVD and then follow through with the install.

You will need to download the system drivers (not using the download manager because it messes things up). Since I have your system I know exactly what you are needing

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (might be included on you're XP disc)

Windows XP Service Pack 3

1. Dell Notebook Software (R120775)

2. Intel Chipset (R114079)

3. Intel Video (R128346)

4. Conexant (R90851R114200)

5. Broadcom (R108904R150593)

6. Audio (R171789)

7. Wireless Intel (R155386) - Note you may have a different wireless card.

8. Touchpad (R120179)

9. Dell Quickset (R151309)

10. Dell Support Centre (latest version, better to get here and not under applications)

Also for the best outcome install in the order I have listed. Preferably with the standalone service packs before the drivers. Security recommendations below because quite light and effective and does not kill this system (as McAfee etc. completely slow down this system). If you have you're own preference ignore these  (11. onwards).

11. Microsoft Security Essentials

12. Windows 7 Firewall Control (XP, Free Version - Blocks everything by default so you need to enable what you want, be patient with it at the start however is very good free firewall, light on system resources and a good firewall is quite necessary on XP)

13. Malwarebytes' AntiMalware (Use Free Version, Manually update and scan it periodically)

When you have you're back online you should get Internet Explorer 8 and Windows Media Player 11 in the updates. However I recommend using

14. Google Chrome (Because is newer, quite light also quite like IE9 but Microsoft will not make any of the newer versions of IE for XP so probably much more secure than IE8).

15. AdBlock Extension (for Chrome, removes pretty much all adverts and makes browsing the internet much more enjoyable)

No Events found!