Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

RO

October 30th, 2008 19:00

hal.dll missing/corrupt on Inspiron 300m: cannot start up

every time i try and star up my computer i get the same message that the hal.dll file is missing, and have to reinstall it

i put in the "reinstallation CD" and ran the recovery console, but it seems that i have no hard drive detected

(step 3)

The option for step 3 seems to be missing...

1. Start the computer by using your Windows XP CD-ROM. Press any key to boot from the CD.

2. After the setup files are finished loading press R to repair using Recovery Console.

3.When you are in the recovery console, select the installation to log on to (usually number 1), and then press ENTER.

4. Login to the Administrator account by typing the password for this account, and then press ENTER.

5. At the recovery console command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

in the C:\>  i typed the command

expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll

(also tried it "expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32")

but it said "Access is Denied"

any suggestions?

i also ran the diagnostics test, here are the results:

Diagnostic Test:

Fails "Start DST Short Test" 

error code: 1000-0146

(log does contain previous errors)

Then for "DST Short Status Test" it says Not Applicable, and a gray box pops up saying:

No Diagnostic Utility Partition found.  To run diagnostics, insert your Dell "Drivers and Utilities" CD, then select OK to restart the system and boot off the CD.

ok or cancel

i put in the cd "For Reinstalling Dell Inspiron System Software"

Contents:

Device Drivers

Diagnostics and utilities

and even though i put in the cd, it didnt work

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

I dont want to completely reinstall everything because i have media that has not been backed up that is stored on my hard drive.

Reed 

No Events found!