Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2012 17:00

{moved} Windows 7 asking for a CDrom when attempting to update.

Receiving a "The feature you are trying to use is on a CD-Rom or other removable disk that is not available." when trying to update Windows 7. I do not have any disks. Help please!

45 Posts

August 12th, 2012 19:00

Some things that may or may not help. I went to Windows Updates.

Start - Control Panel - Upper left corner click - Updates Frequently asked Questions.

Type - Windows 7 Installer 5.0 - Search.

1st on the list - next page - Clear upper and Lower Registry Filters

Read the rest to see what you can find that may be of help.

This is not exactly what you were asking, but just the closest I could get.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 12th, 2012 22:00

I have moved this to the Microsoft OS forum. What is the model of your laptop?

What is the update? Is this a new system?

Are you running the 32 bit or 64 bit version of Windows?

You can download a .iso file of the correct version and create a DVD from it as instructed here.

You can try inserting this DVD while updating.

4 Posts

August 13th, 2012 19:00

The updates are:

-Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7

-Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2509553)

-Windows 7 Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB976932)

-Security Update for Microsoft Works 9 (KB2680317)

It about a two year old, 64-bit, Windows 7 Inspiron Laptop. I don't have the DVD for the update, all my software cam pre-installed. It would be most convenient if I could do this with out the disk if possible.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 14th, 2012 03:00

Okay Windows 7 Service Pack 1 is a major update and you should of had this long ago.

Please attempt to install the standalone version of Windows 7 Service Pack 1 windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe. Download the file to your desktop and run it.

Also Internet Explorer 9 (x64) if you don't have it.

Are you asked for a DVD here? Once you have these and have rebooted your computer.

Go to start > all programs > windows update > check for updates

Then click on the updates so you get to the "select updates to install"

Uncheck any update that mentions Microsoft Works and attempt to install the rest. Are you asked for a DVD here?

Repeat the process and only check the Microsoft Works update, are you asked for a DVD here?

4 Posts

August 15th, 2012 20:00

Thanks for the tips btw. I downloaded  windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe.  and attempted to install. It worked on it for a while and then gave me a:

"A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download and run the "Check for System Update Readiness" Tool at

I'm attempting to use this tool now. I will update how it goes.

4 Posts

August 15th, 2012 22:00

Here is the error I got when trying to install:

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 16th, 2012 01:00

As you are in the United States, I recommend you to fill out this form here to request reinstallation media.

Have you been running any registry cleaner or optimisation programs? These can cause some problems.

As the system is trying to use the windows update service every time you log on and getting in a pickle. The failure to install the standalone service pack seems to be because Windows is trying yo use the update service aswell as you, tell the system to stop automatically updating.

Try this

Restart your computer.

Go to control panel > system and security > turn automatic updating on or off > never check for updates (not recommended) > ok

Restart your computer.

Try again to install windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe

If that works or doesn't let me know.

No Events found!