Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 11th, 2003 04:00

"Not All Data was succcessfully written to the Registry" : error

I performed the "ALL" Registry backup by opening the Registry editor , highlighting My Computer and "Export Registry File". (I called it 'All' and sent it to "My Documents")

When I double clicked the registry flie I saved into My Documents, I was asked .."Are you sure you want to add the information in....."   I choose YES   and I recieved the error  "Cannot import All.reg(name I gave)  :Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or processes."

Did I do something wrong ? Remember, I flashed the Hard-drive A04 Bios version on my Dimension 8250 and cannot RESTART the computer. ( no floppy drive on this computer)

ps. I ordered an internal floppy disk drive from Dell and will be able to flash the correct A04 Bios floppy version soon.

85 Posts

I flashed the Bios hard drive version of A04 , when I choose to RESTART my computer it hangs forever.  Only the floppy Bios A04 version will correctly work.

I do not have a internal floppy disk drive on my 8250. This is why I flashed the hard-drive version Bios A04.

"Again I raise the question why are you bothering with the registry, has it bothered you, then why bother it. "             I was trying to backup my Registry.

I think that becuase I cannot RESTART the computer correctly, due to the Bios problem, the Registry may be slightly errored ? Thus the error " Not all Data was successfully written to the Registry"

Message Edited by alero90 on 11-11-2003 01:53 AM

2.5K Posts

I have absolutely what this statement means "Remember, I flashed the Hard-drive A04 Bios version on my Dimension 8250 and cannot RESTART the computer. ( no floppy drive on this computer)".  You don't flash Hard Disks, you flash EEPROMs what contains the BOIS.  The lack of a floppy normally does not prevent you from starting a PC.  Again I raise the question why are you bothering with the registry, has it bothered you, then why bother it.

Message Edited by msgale on 11-11-2003 12:37 AM

1.3K Posts

November 11th, 2003 10:00

i would not worry about the registry merge..however, you could use system restore, if you wanted, to restore the computer to a state previous to the registry merging. infact, you can use system restore instead of backing up the registry and then merging the backup.

Message Edited by redwolfe_98 on 11-11-2003 07:50 AM

85 Posts

November 11th, 2003 14:00

redwolfe_98 ,

You are correct, system restore is the way to go!

thank you.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 11th, 2003 14:00

Your problem stems from the way you named your backup file. You must not allow the backup file to have the default REG extension. Change it to All.bak or something else. When you click on a REG file, the default action is to merge this file with the Registry. You can change the default action for reg files, but that's not recommended. The reason for the reg extension is when you export a single key, you can delete it and easily reinstate it if necessary by clicking on it.
No Events found!