Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

October 9th, 2011 10:00

"Speed Up Your Computer By Disabling Add-Ons

This seems to be an artifact of IE9. According to the message I can save a whopping .84 seconds by disabling them. What I would really like to do is to disable this frequent pop up that appears at the bottom of the screen. Awhile ago this message came up. I closed it and then tried to minimize the page, it came up again. It did the same thing several times like it was in some kind of loop mode, even if I tried to close the page. It seems like there is a lot of stuff in there by default that I don't want to mess with. This appears to be just another useless feature that I don't want any part of.

A suggested answer in Google is to increase the allowable time, but when I go to Tools>Manage Add-Ons I don't see how to add to the allowable time, it just shows Load Time and Navigation but I don't see an option to increase the time. Any suggestions on how to eliminate or tame this annoying pest...especially when it simi-locks up my screen if I am on a  particular page.

3.7K Posts

October 9th, 2011 10:00

This seems to be an artifact of IE9. According to the message I can save a whopping .84 seconds by disabling them. What I would really like to do is to disable this frequent pop up that appears at the bottom of the screen. Awhile ago this message came up. I closed it and then tried to minimize the page, it came up again. It did the same thing several times like it was in some kind of loop mode, even if I tried to close the page. It seems like there is a lot of stuff in there by default that I don't want to mess with. This appears to be just another useless feature that I don't want any part of.

A suggested answer in Google is to increase the allowable time, but when I go to Tools>Manage Add-Ons I don't see how to add to the allowable time, it just shows Load Time and Navigation but I don't see an option to increase the time. Any suggestions on how to eliminate or tame this annoying pest...especially when it simi-locks up my screen if I am on a  particular page.

Have you tried using another web browser, like Chrome, or FireFox.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 9th, 2011 11:00

If you are running Professional or Ultimate/Enterprise, you can disable the notification with group/local policy:

Go to Start and type in gpedit.msc, then look under User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Internet Explorer and Enable "Disable Add-On Performance Notifications".

For any version of Windows, you can change the delay threshold for displaying the message:

If you want to change the delay to prevent it from being so sensitive, then right-click on the IE menu/address/tab bar somewhere, check the box for Command Bar, click on Tools, Toolbars, Disable Add-ons.  Here you can disable add-ons and/or change the threshold for displaying the notifications.  I'm not sure why this option seems to only be available by taking the long route (showing Command toolbar).

No add-ons are required, including the defaults.  Enable them and live with any occasional or recurring delays that come with them, or disable them all.  Consider disabling the add-on if your browser locks up - it may not be the Window's add-on notification that is causing the lock-up, but the add-on.  While the .84 second delay seems almost to little to mess with, if the add-on is causing a slowdown, it could actually be causing a .84 second delay every time it is called by the page, which could be several times per page - this would cause a noticeable and annoying delay, in which case it is not IE's fault, and thanks to the notification, you would now know what is causing it.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

October 9th, 2011 14:00

I probabably should try another browser...guess I am so familiar with IE...and its imperfections, that I nervous about trying another one. I have no idea if it would mess up my home page which is MSN, or do something with my settings. But I might give it a shot.

When I press All Add-Ons, about 20 or more come up. When I choose Currently Loaded Add-Ons it is about half of that. Only 4 of them show laod times:

Real Player Download and Record, Key Scrambler BHO Class, Windows Live Id Sign In Helper. and Adobe PDF Link.

Others that are enabled but show no load time:

Shockwave Flash Object, Microsoft Silverlight, XML DOM Document 3.0, and Key Scramble Options among others.

I am not sure what would happen if I deleted these. One thing I have noticed that is becoming annoying is that sometimes it takes awhile, several seconds, for the pages to change. And frequently, I get a message that the browser needs to be restarted. Not sure if this has anything to do with IE9 or these add ons, but trying a different browser might be the best way to go.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

October 9th, 2011 15:00

If you install that many unneeded browser add-ons to ANY browser, you're just asking for trouble.  Don't just disable but uninstall (in Control Panel, Programs and Features) all of your toolbars (all of them, including Google Toolbar, Yahoo!, etc. that didn't come installed by Dell), then disable all of your add-ons but Flash/Shockwave, Silverlight, XML, and Live ID (only if you actually have a Live ID) ... (mainly, just get rid of the key scrambler thing - many anti-keylogger tools cause issues).  Once you have found/eliminated the problem, then you can reinstall the reputable toolbars (Bing, Yahoo!, Google), if they don't cause issues (although I've seen them cause issues many times).

Internet Explorer is a fine browser, and its "imperfections" are usually more from a lack of understanding than actual imperfections. Other browsers have their "quirks" too - it just depends on which quirks bother you the most.  It's ok (but not required) to like another browser over IE.  When you install one, it will ask you if you want to import your favorites and home page from your current browser.  You can also set your home page manually in all of them.  The only Windows settings it will affect is if you choose to make it your Default Browser.  I would recommend against making it your default until you decide if you like it or not.

Try Firefox or Chrome, but if you aren't a little more judicious when installing add-ons, toolbars, and software in general, you will end up with the same problems on any browser ... or worse.  99/100 times (or more), add-ons are the cause of browser problems.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

October 9th, 2011 20:00

TheFlash1932...why are you assuming (twice!) that I have added any add-ons to my browser. You tone is a bit annoying. I have not to my knowledge installed any add-ons. They have simply ended up there. After years of reading the Virus and Spyware forums I am very careful not to add any toolbars or other unnecessary junk. The Key Scrambler from QFX Software is part of my security software and has worked fine before when I had IE7, which is what I should have kept. I have some Yahoo email accounts, but no toolbars to my knowledge. Although I use Google a lot, I don't have their toolbar.

As for the the so called toolbars, I am leery of deleting anything with Adobe or Microsoft in the name because I don't understand what these things do or why they even show up in Manage Add-Ons. Thanks for your comments, but when I ask questions and am trying to learn about something, I really am not looking for a scolding/lecture.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

October 10th, 2011 01:00

Well its a very good feature of IE9, too many times I seen people complain about IE and its because they have about 20 toolbars taking up half the screen and crippling its performance. For example I was recommended by my friends to switch to Firefox (when Vista was quite new) until they installed it on my computer and we found it significantly slower than IE, I appeared to have an abnormally.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/ieextensiondevelopment/thread/ff5ac523-21d2-4156-b7b7-04e711ba4f72 

It is possible that every time your security plug-in updates IE9 sees it as a new add-in hence giving you the prompt, I am not sure.

Actually Google Chrome feels very much like IE9 so changing from one to the other isn't a big step. They are almost the same, I found a free adblock extension for Chrome and not IE9 hence the only reason I switched.

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

October 10th, 2011 08:00

Thanks Natakuc4:

I will experiment with them next time and see what happens. I guess if something is really needed it will reinstall, or in a worse case I could do a System Restore.

1 Message

February 8th, 2012 00:00

Uniblue SpeedUpMyPC 2012 is among the most popular products used on the internet to speed up the computer and fix computer freezes, computer lags and similar issues.
Improves Internet Surfing & Downloading Speed
Deletes Junk Files and Information
Adjusts Windows for Best Performance
Disables Unneeded Services
Disables Unneeded AutoStart Processes
Speeds Up the Start Menu
Launch Applications Faster

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

February 8th, 2012 11:00

Avoid such a program or any program published by uniblue.

1 Message

February 18th, 2012 06:00

without adding on or upgrading hardware configuration. There are a lot of ways to speed up a computer.

1) Remove Unwanted Programs.
2) Delete Any Clutter / Junk Files.
3) Clean Out The Registry.
4) Disable automatic startup of some programs.
5) Defragment your system.

I am using this Dell speed up tool and it keeps my Inspiron in pretty good shape actually. ^^

1 Rookie

• 

2.2K Posts

February 18th, 2012 18:00

You have exactly one post drwyne, and I am supposed to consider you to be an expert? Don't think so, especially when you want me to click on a link that might be spam or take me heaven knows where. Been coming these forums since 2001 and have learned a lot, and how to stay out of trouble. Think I'll pass on your "advice". Besides...it was not a matter of speed.

1 Message

March 21st, 2014 00:00

You can use various software to boost up start up speed.

This thread is locked, due to age.

If you need assistance, please create a new thread in the proper Dell Support Forum

Thank you

No Events found!