Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2010 13:00

re-installed copy of windows xp won't accept my key validation

I had to re-install my compy of windows xp home edition.  To my surprise I couldn't find the oem cd that came with the pc.  I installed windows xp home edition with a friends copy.  Of course I had to type the key that came with that cd.  Once I got it installed it said I needed to validate my copy online in 30 days.  When I tried this it said the key was invalid.  I tried the key that came with my pc (the copy I lost) and it said the same thing.  How do I validate  windows xp?  Do i have to order another oem copy from dell? or Do I have to buy it?  . Is my key no good because I can't find the cd that campe with my pc? Please help  I don't think I should buy another copy since I have my original key

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You must use an OEM Dell CD - any other Windows CD will not work with the OEM key.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

8 Posts

But at least I got the computer running and able to search for a solution.  I don't like calling dell or any of those services for help usually is slow and not very helpful, and using another computer from a friend or library or cafe can cost money, slow in the library and sometimes friends don't have much time for you to use their computer for longs periods of time searching for a solution.

Well thanks I will try to order the replacement disk

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

You were wrong to use the friends key. The key belongs to his computer, not the disk. You must use your own key. You can use the friends disk IF (big if) it is the same Dell version of XP as you had. Best solution is to request a free replacement disk from Dell by filling out the form here. When you get the disk, boot to it, format the drive to wipe out his incorrect version and install XP.

No Events found!