Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 3rd, 2003 20:00

system 32 folder on start up

Hi there.  I just got a dell dimension 8300, just about a week ago.  Its been doing great.  However this morning when I started it up, it seems to start normal, then automatically up pops the system 32 folder.  Which inside it says "these files are hidden, this folder contains files that keep your system working properly.  you should not modify its contents"  I closed it out and thought it was odd and just a fluke.

I then restarted about 6 hours later and it did the same thing.  Immediately prior to this I did not install any new software and I don't recall installing anything the day before either in which it started normally that day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is popping up on start up, and what can be done to rectify this?

Thank you kindly,
Shannon

2 Posts

June 4th, 2003 01:00

@shannon_OH wrote:

Hi there.  I just got a dell dimension 8300, just about a week ago.  Its been doing great.  However this morning when I started it up, it seems to start normal, then automatically up pops the system 32 folder.  Which inside it says "these files are hidden, this folder contains files that keep your system working properly.  you should not modify its contents"  I closed it out and thought it was odd and just a fluke.

I then restarted about 6 hours later and it did the same thing.  Immediately prior to this I did not install any new software and I don't recall installing anything the day before either in which it started normally that day.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is popping up on start up, and what can be done to rectify this?

I take it you are Shannon in Ohio?  Anyway, you probably have some program in your startup folder.  If you click on start, then click programs, then click startup, you will see a list of programs.  Whats in that list?  Then run this program, regedit.  Be careful with this program, as if you change something you can really mess up your machine, but I am using it to identify a problem.  After regedit is opened, very carefully click the plus signs next to HKEY_Local machine, Software, Microsoft, Windows, Current Version, run.  Click on the actual run item, and on the right you will see a whole mess of items.  What is listed there?  You see 3 columns, name, type and data.  Move the divider bar next to the data column to make it wider so you can see the contents better.  Look at the list very carefully, see if you see anything that says C:\windows\system32 in it.. You don't have to show everything, but some of those items may be unneeded.. if you get me a list, I will be able to tell you which ones you can keep, and which ones you can delete.  I have seen this problem before, and basically its a shortcut that's pointing to that folder.. i believe.  But we will see.

51 Posts

June 5th, 2003 03:00

Shannon_OH;

See if the information here is of any help.

199 Posts

June 12th, 2003 14:00

You could see if this helps.

June 12th, 2003 14:00

I have noticed the same issue with my dell but with Intellisync for MSN. AFter troubleshooting i have found it was a paticular software that was causing the problem. Unfortunelty i can't get rid of it because i need the software. It was conflicting with a file running in the background called wkdeteck.exe.

So to see if it is a software problem, i am assuming you have xp, go to start/run/ and type msconfig. Click the startup tab. There you will see everything program that starts automatically when you start your comptuer. This tab is okay to mess around in. Click disable all. Then click ok and you will have to reboot your computer and see if it happens again. If it doesn't happen again then you know its one of the programs. Then go back and just check one, click ok, and reboot. Keep doing this until the problem comes back.

When i unchecked wkdeteck.exe the problem went away. Unfortunately when i opened word or works in would automatically reinsert itself and the problem would come back. Reason why i can't get rid of it is because works and word use eachother so to speak.

Hopefully that works. If it does then thats step one. Then you will have to look into a way to resolve it.

2 Posts

September 9th, 2004 00:00

I'm having the exact same problem on my Inspiron 1100.  I've tried everything.  Can someone help me?

September 9th, 2004 02:00

I found a fix for my problem. I thought i had posted it, but i guess not.

I ended up renaming Intellisync for MSN to Microsoft Intellisync for MSN. This fixed my problem.

No Events found!