Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 15th, 2006 16:00

system restore

My system restore facility does not operate, I think because computer was incorrectly shut down.
Any ideas on how to correct?

11.9K Posts

January 15th, 2006 17:00

@jeemak wrote:
My system restore facility does not operate, I think because computer was incorrectly shut down.
Any ideas on how to correct?

It should have nothing to do with a shutdown.  What happens when you reboot and hit CTRL F11 when you see the Dell screen?  Be EXACT and specfic.

7 Posts

January 15th, 2006 19:00

It was a Dell technical help man who said incorrect shutdown could be the cause, (it is XP restore which isn't working). I was talking to him about an internet connection problem for which I'd tried  restore.

7 Posts

Sorry for delay, I got called away, but thanks for response, doing as you suggested gave short period of black screen nfollowed by a window offering me choice of restoring system to original  as delivered by "Dell", or start up.

549 Posts

jeemak

Try this site  it is all about system restore   Good luck

http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

11.9K Posts

@jeemak wrote:
Sorry for delay, I got called away, but thanks for response, doing as you suggested gave short period of black screen nfollowed by a window offering me choice of restoring system to original  as delivered by "Dell", or start up.

That's Dell PC Restore by Symantec, and it's clearly working fine.

You must be referring to Windows XP's System Restore.  If it doesn't work, then it could be a virus. 

7 Posts

many thanks, I'll give it a try.

570 Posts

February 10th, 2006 18:00

Is your problem fixed?

4.4K Posts

February 10th, 2006 20:00

Assuming that you do mean the system restore applet in Windows XP, if it will not restore to a previous restore point, it usually is because one or more restore points have become corrupted. As they are sequential, like links in a chain, once one is corrupted, the sequence is broken and it won't work past the date of the corrupted one. Your only option then is to clear all the restore points. Since you can't use them anyway, it's no great loss. I think that the Dell technician is right in saying that an incorrect shutdown of Windows might have caused a restore point to have been corrupted (e.g. if the system was creating a checkpoint restore point at the time, or if the incorrect shutdown prevented Windows from completely writing things to the hard drive during shut down). But it can also happen for other reasons.

Open system restore applet, click system restore settings, check turn off system restore, click apply, OK.

Restart your computer, then go back into system restore settings and uncheck the box, click apply OK. It should create a fresh restore point. You can check if it is working by creating a second restore point some time later. Then restart your PC, go into system restore, see if it will restore to the first one.

7 Posts

February 10th, 2006 20:00

No - I reinstalled, but tried after without success

7 Posts

February 11th, 2006 22:00

Many thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know.

570 Posts

February 13th, 2006 13:00

jeemak,

so, is it fixed?

7 Posts

February 13th, 2006 17:00

JRosenfeld, Sparkenh,

Still not working, reistalling eliminated all restore points, latest exercise, checking on and off, has left me with restore points for 12th and 13th, tried to restore to 12th - no go.

No Events found!