Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

TP

June 29th, 2004 22:00

system32/config/system problem

when i start my computer this msg apears windows/system32/config/system is missing it says to run the repair but i tried that and it didnt work  even though im not exactly sure where to run the repair from     can someone  tell me how to run the repair from the cd because i was pressing f12 and then R  in the f12 screen and nothing was happening i was also pressing r after it said too and it would attempt to boot up windows and it was reading ther cd when it did this

i saw   amsg about installing some repair program but have to be an administative to do this   im confused

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 30th, 2004 01:00

peacorn97,

The procedure for correcting that error is here.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2004 13:00

ahh  on the installation part it says press enter to cancle but doesnt say what to press to make it continue

Message Edited by peacorn97 on 06-30-2004 09:25 AM

7 Posts

June 30th, 2004 13:00

e been trying to use that but im getting stuck on

1. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you want to access from the Recovery Console.

how do i know what to type here it only allows for "one" letter or number  and i have no clue what it is  i typed 1 and pressed enter and nothing happens let it sit for about 10 mins and it was like it froze it  i have a dell dimension 8200

oh it says to cancle press enter so what  do i press to make it continue?

Message Edited by peacorn97 on 06-30-2004 09:26 AM

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 30th, 2004 16:00

peacorn97,

When you enter Recovery Console you should see:

1: C:\WINDOWS

Which Windows installation would you like to log onto
(to cancel, press ENTER)?

Selecting 1 and pressing ENTER should bring you to the following prompt:

C:\WINDOWS>

at which you can enter the commands from the MSKB article.

7 Posts

June 30th, 2004 21:00

ok i type 1 and press enter and it doesnt do anything its like it freezes the computer how long should it take to get to the c:/windows prompt  because yesterday i tried typing 1 and presseing enter aand left it for about 10 minutes and nothing happened

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

June 30th, 2004 22:00

peacorn97,

On my system the display of the prompt to enter the Administrator password is instantaneous.

7 Posts

July 1st, 2004 20:00

ok since its not happening instantly on my system what does that mean?   thats its more messed up then i think it is?  because like i said before i press one and enter and nothing happens and after letting it try to contiue for 10 minutes still nothing happens it like freezes the computer at that point

ok and if i get to the administater part of the precess what is that password supposta be?

Message Edited by peacorn97 on 07-01-2004 04:44 PM

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

July 1st, 2004 21:00

peacorn97,

The password should be blank by default, but systems which were set up using Sysprep, which Dell uses, frequently do not have that default, and there is no way of obtaining the appropriate password.

I know of no way to "tweak" Recovery Console if it is not behaving properly. The only alternative may be a reinstallation of Windows XP.

7 Posts

July 1st, 2004 22:00

just wantta thank you for all your time and help with my puter probs

ok now about installing windows i tried to install it and it goes through all the checking/copying files and then it goes to find a previous version of windows and  freezes at taht point  it seems to never find the windows that is on the computer

with xp if i reinstall it will it erase everything on the computer? because i remember with older window versions i could always reinstall  and save everything at the same time

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

July 2nd, 2004 01:00

peacorn97,

You can do a repair reinstall of Windows XP which will not remove your existing data and applications, but the error message you receive indicates that the registry is corrupted and a repair reinstall will leave the same corrupted registry. The only way I can see to recover is to do a clean install of XP.

The reason the installation is finding a previous version of Windows is that you are not booting from the CD. See the procedures here for installation procedures.

If there are things on the hard drive that you wish to save you may be able to copy them to floppy disk (assuming they are small enough) using the program here.

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

July 6th, 2004 03:00

peacorn97,

I'm glad you are back in business. I wish I had been able to figure out some way of making Recovery Console work.

7 Posts

July 6th, 2004 03:00

l since none of that would work i ended up calling dell and having them run me through a dos command to reinstall windows lost everything but oh well nothing too important i do want to thank you for all your help
No Events found!