Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

March 3rd, 2017 02:00

which drive to use to install programs etc (OS or DATA drive)?

Hi all,

Novice computer user and just got a Dell XPS 8910 Desktop i7-6700/ 16GB DDR4 RAM/ 256GB SSD/ 2TB HDD. By default the OS is set up on the 256GB ssd (c:) and then there is an empty 2TB drive (d:). When installing programs I notice that everything defaults to install to the Program Files (x86) on the c drive. However, given how small the size of that drive is, I'm assuming that I should create a new folder on the 2TB d: drive and install all my large programs there (steam, microsoft office, etc etc).

Is this correct? Just thought I'd ask before I got too far down installing programs and found out they need to be installed with the os.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

140 Posts

March 3rd, 2017 17:00

I tend to install my programs/applications on the smaller SSD drive and store all of my data on the larger spinning D: drive.  The one program that drives me a little crazy is iTunes.  If you start to build up a large library it doesn't play well with storing the data on the D: drive.  I've played with lots of different settings and finally found that it is best to install new movies to the default and then afterwards move the movie to the D: drive.  That seems to keep iTunes functioning.  It will be interesting to see other's opinions.

Personally, I've found a 256gb SSD drive to be just too small for my needs.  On my previous PC I was using a 500gb SSD drive and on my new 8910 I installed a 1Tb EVO 960 drive.  I still try to store all data on the spinning D: Drive.

March 3rd, 2017 18:00

Thanks, that's very helpful. I've not used duel drives before, just external HDD plugged in through a usb. So, this is an exciting step up. And I can see myself in the near future itching to increase the SSD which I load up the HDD with all my files etc.

Thanks for the heads-up on iTunes, that was around the corner so I'll be mindful of new movies while juggling the library file on the HDD while I run it off the SSD.

cheers - it's very useful to head of some example work-flows.

No Events found!